March 16, 2009

Mo Sushi

So here's our follow-up on the whole sushi extravaganza. I made my first attempt at real (but not so traditional)sushi rolls and they came out..."eh" for presentation and "effin' YAY!" for taste. I have a real aversion to to bleached/blanched/refined/milled and polished/EMPTY CALORIE food so I stubbornly used some short grain brown basmati rice instead of the recommended sticky japonica rice. I assumed it wouldn't be sticky enough, but what the hell. It actually worked quite well! I threw in some avocado, carrot, cucumber, and leftover salmon, did what the Sushi book told me to do and BEHOLD! and healthy, too! Bonus!


As I dinked around with my sushi, I looked over at Lo who had been watching and mixing a bowl of pretend food. She had found some felt scraps and was attempting to roll her wood food in a spare piece of nori !
It gave me the idea to set up an assortment of precut pieces of felt and fabric so that we could make some play sushi rolls. We used dark green felt for the nori, white terry cloth for the rice, light green fabric for the avocado, orange felt for the carrot, and little tufts of wool (that we had dyed last year with dandelions) for the egg. You can pretty much make these the same way as the real thing-except you'll have to make each individual piece as opposed to a whole roll and then cutting the pieces. Just roll up and stitch closed! We made some with the rice on the outside and some with the nori on the outside.
OK! Enough with the sushi, already.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Looks yummy. The real and pretend sushi. :)

Anet said...

Lo's play sushi is so cute! You're such a clever momma:)

tiff said...

OMG...this is fantastic...and I love the play sushi! Be on the watch for my candy sushi attempt...the boys' and I are going to make in a couple of days and I will post photos.

I should make sushi with the kinder kiddo's...then put out play fabric to make their own...I am pretty sure 90% of my class has never had sushi...YUMMERS!

Lizz said...

Love yours and Lo's. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I always use brown rice too.