November 28, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We certainly have a lot to be grateful for.

Lo and I had fun making corn husk dolls to represent each of us for the place settings and Dea set up a beautiful table for our feast. We also made a bunch of leaf cut outs and put one thing we are thankful for on each one. I strung them up to look like falling leaves. We broke out the dinning room table and chairs from the shed. We don't have a dinning room-we gave it up so that Lo could have a bedroom. We just eat on the island in the kitchen but for holidays and entertaining use the old dinning room set. I can't wait to get a big-ass "last supper" table for future feasting and entertaining when we build our addition! Later, we dove into the bowels of the basement to bring out all our Holiday decorations and we'll spend the next couple of days decorating the house for Solstice and Christmas.


We didn't do anything too "out there" food wise like in years past. We've been known to do fondues, rack of lamb, and skirt steak. But since Huz won a turkey through work we figured we'd take a shot a smoking it. As beautiful and tender as it looked and as amazing as it smelled, we all just decided we're not turkey people.

Next year we'll try Cornish games hens or perhaps a duckin(minus the tur). The rest of our meal was scrumptious. We all partook of some serious homemade goodness. Dea made the most killer pumpkin cookies(and I'm not a big pumpkin fan).

As a our turkey was finishing up in the smoker around midnight, Huz was making his famous cinnamon rolls for the next morning.



Cinnaomn roll Dracula

This year I made a pie for the first time-apple cranberry and the Huz (a former pastry chef) said it beat his. The ultimate compliment! I also made a rockin stuffing with oysters and gorgonzola. We had the usual cranberry sauce, mashed taters, green beans with hazelnuts, and Huz's fresh baked rosemary bread. And Jazz on the sterio with a chocolaty 1994 Cab.

To work it all off we headed outside for the Annual Neighborhood Thanksgiving Sledding. Our neighbors down the street erect a humongous bonfire and everyone sleds from the top of our road down into the neighbor's driveway, making a sharp turn (hopefully!) at the corner of their garage and proceeding to blast down into the back yard! And someone always drives the Green Machine with 2 long ropes hanging out the back in order to pull a gaggle of sledders up to the top of the road. Good times!




Then, with appetites re-stoked, it's back home for pie and eggnog, a reading of the Thanksgiving story(a good one I got from Lo's school-with more emphasis on the Native Americans) and the start of singing Christmas songs for lullabies.


*Regarding my inquiry into the the truth about the Thanksgiving story, I stumbled upon this one, "Why I Hate Thanksgiving". MUST READ. Your thoughts?

Our future Thanksgivings will also include honoring those Native Americans who perished in genocide, and those who experienced degradation, slavery and displacement.

14 comments:

Anet said...

What a fantastic day you had! The table looked beautiful and the food looks delish!!!

Wendy said...

Sounds like a fantastic day! I'm so jealous of all your snow. We only got a few flakes yesterday. Actually, haven't had hardly any snow this year and we live in Colorado. (I just checked the weather channel and we've got *rain* in the forcast next week!)

Sharon said...

It does sound like the perfect Thanksgiving.

I don't know how you can stay married to that man......I'd be so fat if I lived with him!!! Those cinnamon rolls are making me crazy just looking at them and I'm not even hungry. You're a stronger girl than I! :)

RunninL8 said...

Sharon-his baking is only allowed on the major holidays!!!

RunninL8 said...

Anet-I'd love to know what you think for "why I hate Thanksgiving"

Loring Wirbel said...

Wonderful shots of the sledding experience and the roll-eating.

I'm trying to urge people to read The Years of Rice and Salt, a novel that imagines a Europe 95 percent depopulated by the Black Death in the 14th century, where white people became a mere legend, and Muslims and Buddhists had to compete over who killed the indigenous and colonized etc. first. Premise being that if it wasn't for white Westerners destroying the hunter-gatherers, another "civilized" culture would step in to do the job.

Everything in "Why I Hate" is absolutely true, but still it should be tempered knowing that 90 percent of Native American deaths were due to smallpox, pre-1600 (white man's fault, but not directly), and that there were a few short years when the Puritans really did attempt to live peacefully with the Pequot. Then along came manifest destiny....

I said all this because I'm trying to practice "Thanksgiving without guilt," and got quite annoyed with the California public school district that wanted to ban all pilgrim hats for political correctness.

dawn klinge said...

Your table looked beautiful, and congratulations on your first pie being such a success!
I read the article you linked to, and was horrified to think about what was done to the natives by the Europeans. I've read similar accounts before, but then again, I've read other accounts that show a different side of the colonists. I'm not sure what to believe, but I have a feeling the truth is a little of both.

denise said...

Wow - look at that food. Looks great. And the sledding looks like a total blast too.

Loring - I'm reading that book now too...having a hard time finishing it, but it is an interesting concept.

Oh, and cinnamon roll recipe?!?!?!

RunninL8 said...

Loring-thanks, I think that book will be next on my list. Sound intruiging...While I like the concept of keep guilt and negativity out of a holiday, right now I just can't get past the cruelty that went on. I've been disgusted with the glorifed pilgrim study they teach kids in public school but I guess censoring every aspect of it goes too far since there were attempts at peace. The whole subject has piqued my interest so I'll research on.

Denise- If Huz will give it up, I'll post the recipe and tutorial for the holidays! He also wants to be a guest blogger and teach basic bread baking.

Sharon said...

Hey RunninL8,
it is all so disturbing, especially when the details are all laid out like that; one of those issues that I am terribly interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on but am personally at a loss as to how to deal with. There certainly seems to be very little to celebrate in regards to the actual history of much of that time. Strange that we mythologize the past in order to create a holiday.

Anyways, I can't wait to read your guest blogger!!! :)

tiff said...

love...love...love...your thanksgiving post...everything is beautiful and festive.

oh the sledding in the dark with snow falling...brings back memories of our last thanksgiving in willow.

the food looks delicious...yumminess abounds at your abode!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful table you guys had!

The Years of Rice and Salt has some great aspects to it (I especially like the alternate settlement of Northern California by the Chinese!) but it does get kind of bogged down. I like Robinson's other more sci-fi stuff (the Mars trilogy in particular) but this one is a challange. He had a great idea -- alternate world history, reincarnation, etc. -- but he faltered in the execution of it somehow.

As for Thanksgiving, I've long had mixed feelings. I have ancestors who participated in King Philip's War against the New England Native American tribes. We tend to assume that the Puritans came here to achieve religious freedom -- which they did, but only for themselves! They were a very intolerant bunch, even toward other Christians.

My kids are too little to go into much of the "bad" side of the Thanksgiving story...so I emphasize the help the Native Americans gave, and the native foods we still eat today.

I also read the other day that the first settlers in what are today's contiguous 48 states were French Huguenots who settled in Florida! They were massacred by the Spanish, so really it's still the same story of intolerance and violence, just different cultures. Article here: http://tiny.cc/ckibv.

Loring Wirbel said...

Denise and Anthromama - I was in a bookstore in Albuquerque yesterday and actually saw a new lit journal called Hunter-Gatherer Journal - for writers who prefer the stone age. Heck, a market for anything.

Loring Wirbel said...

Anthromama - That's only half the story about the Huguenots. They were originally in Nova Scotia, which they called Arcadia, and were forced to migrate (very brutally so) by the Brits when the Brits won the French and Indian War. They were given the poorest land in Louisiana and called "Cadians' which drawled down to "Cajuns." That's why there's similarity between Cajun and Breton fiddle music.