November 13, 2008

New York City- THE EATS!!!!

Catching the 6 train

YELLOWDOG GRANNY!!! YOUR PREZZY IS ON THE WAY!!!

Go and check out her hilarious blog!!!!

After tucking our littlest into bed at the O's house Halloween night, Huz and I set off for New York City. Can I just say, despite the excitement of a few days away with just the two of us, it was miserable leaving my kids. Especially Lo because she is so young and it was the first time we'd been apart for more than 2 days. The only other time we've been away from Dea was on our honeymoon-and we spent quite a bit of time talking about how we couldn't wait to come back to Cabo with her next time! I knew Lo was feeling a little scared lying in a different bed in a different house after all that Halloween freakiness, and I felt so guilty. I had to wrestle to keep those thoughts of "what if something happens to us? What if the plane crashes? What if something terrible happens to the kids?" out of my head and try to concentrate on that fact that they would be fine and that Huz and I deserved a few days away together as lovers and spouses in an exciting place. I wasn't able to really relax until we touched down in New York. And when the the plane landed safely back in Alaska a few days later I was surprised at the weight of worry that lifted from me!

Our flights to New York slipped by surprisingly quickly with some snoozing and 3 hours of lively conversation with our seat mate who was interested in our take on Palin. Upon arriving at JFK I was excited to see that fall was still in swing in New York! The weather on our trip was warm enough to not have to wear coats-a treat! That night after, after a 3 hour drive from the airport-which is, what?, 20 miles away?, We settled into our little, funky, breaking-all-the-feng-shui-rules hotel room on Wall St. Hungry and suffering from "airplane stomach" we set off in search of food. Eventually, we found our way back to the 1600's in Lower Manhattan. Stone Street, a cobblestone alley first developed by Dutch colonists and said to be the first paved street in NYC , is nestled in among the mountains of skyscrapers. We were thrilled to see outdoor seating right in the street with restaurants lining both sides! I've always enjoyed eating outside at night in the city !


We picked a pub for burgers. Not the greatest meal, but a fun start of a run in fine dinning! We mostly ate at Italian restaurants- Little Italy within walking distance of our Hotel. Huz's boss and other New York Life execs took the lot of us out to dinner each night at some pretty fabulous places! My Parents also came into town twice to have lunch and Mile's borther joined us for a day as well-what a FUN time!
Here's some links to those fabulous restaurants: Grotta Azzurra, Buona Notte, Delmonico's, Ferrara's, Churrascaria Porcao, and Sparks. The first 2 were my favs. We had our fill of incredible seafood, meat and some fabulous wines. Needless to say, I've been hitting the cardio and weights in earnest this week due to uncomfortably tight jeans! It was worth it, though. How can you not indulge when in New York City?!?

*Starving in Stone Street
Lobster Newburg at Delmonico's
Good wine and company at Porcao

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh: getting anywhere from the airports in NYC is obnoxious :-)

Those little alleys and streets are so fun to discover...I like the ones in Chinatown.

I'm so glad you had a nice trip with hubby, what a treat!

dawn klinge said...

I think the focus of your travel sounds about like what what I like to focus on when I travel...great food! I've only passed through NYC but I know I'd love to spend some time there...eating. ;)

Lisa Anne said...

Makes me want to jump on the train and head down there right now! We will probably go back in Jan/Feb, I get totally lost in their subways, the metro in Paris is no problem but in NYC...aiy-yi-yi, but I am willing to try again.