November 17, 2008

NYC- God's cribs

My two regrets about time management while in New York City: Not spending time in Central Park taking advantage of the fall, and not exploring in detail at least one of the cathedrals. Foo-Foo here spent 3 precious hours hunting down an Anthropologie sweater(it was PERFECT) in SOHO that she saw the day before but decided not to buy in case something better came along. When I went back to get it, it was like the store had completely vanished! As a precaution , I even Googled the address before leaving the hotel room but after searching the street I found the address but no store. It was just gone. And I guess there is some "tourist" conspiracy going on between stores in NYC. If someone stops in to ask where another store is located, LIE! Send 'em on a wild goose chase! 10 stores, at least, that I walked into for directions-all with different info. Finding the sweater became an obsession out of spite!!! Again, waisted time...blistered feet and no sweater.

I was deep in the throes of my book, Pillars of the Earth, when my fascination with Gothic architecture came rushing back amid the story's imagery of a cathedral being erected. I had loved Art History in college and this was always an area of intrigue. In addition to the edge-of-your-seat plot, the author's description of the cathedral from ground up was almost implausible to me . I'm not a religious woman but I admire the vision of those who aspired to build a house of worship for the glory of God, thus erecting the most ornate, soaring, and splendid structures.

On our first night in NYC, as Huz and I walked our dinner off in lower Manhattan, we came upon Trinity Church. We were caught up in conversation as we passed and didn't really notice that great spire towering above. I loved the almost spooky look of the Church's facade secured behind it's spiked iron gates and took some pics. As you can see from the lower right photo above, only the bottom portion of the church was lit and the 300+ ft spire was in darkness-I didn't know it was even there. So I was in awe the next morning when we saw the whole of it in daylight!

On another day while shopping Uptown with my parents we passed the front doors of Saint Patrick's Cathedral. Again, caught up in conversation and winding our way through the crowd I didn't even see the outside of the Cathedral until we were by the front steps.The sight through those doors just blew me away. I turned and cut through the mob so that I could go inside for a better look. The nave was breathtaking with it's impossibly high ceiling constructed of vaults of blind arcading. The effect of the converging verticals encouraged the eye with a continuous spatial experience down to the altar at the east end of the building. The vaults, now well lit after a century and a half in darkness, glowed warm and inviting.

We stepped inside for a quick look around. My parents lit some vigil lights while I took some photos. I was already filing away future plans of really spending some time exploring some cathedrals next time we're in the city. And the thought of visiting the really old cathedrals in Ireland and Scotland(the trip on the top of our list) had me yearning to get our addition built so that future summers can hold trips abroad. Once we were outside again I stopped to catch some pics of St. Pat's facade(upper right corner pic). Wacky when juxtaposed with a modern skyscraper! And right down the street was the impressive St. Thomas Church(upper left corner pic). Another amazing and ornate facade. If I only had more TIME!!!

With my old interest in Gothic Architecture rekindled I'll definitely be putting some time into more research throughout the next few months.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I, too, loved Pillars of the Earth. Last year when we were in DC, Hels and I went to the Washington Cathedral three times, once for Evensong. It was just beautiful.

Tammy said...

St. Patrick's Cathedral is absolutely stunning. We used to try to at least walk past it almost every time we were in the city. My first experience seeing it was in the summer and there was a wedding taking place there. Limos all over the place, a white one parked right in front. The wedding couple came out and COUNTLESS bridesmaids and groomsmen. Spectacular.

dawn klinge said...

Now I want to read Pillars of the Earth. Your photos of these cathedrals are breathtaking, and I to, love the juxtaposition of old cathedrals with skyscrapers.

Sharon said...

Most churches (and religions as a whole) overwhelm me with a sinking repulsion, the exceptions being some in the southwest. Perhaps because they seem so godless. Looking at those cathedral images is awe inspiring.....just entering would be an act of worship. As long as the dogma was kept to a dull roar I think I could find God there. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

One thing I always wanted to do and never got around to was going to the Cathedral of St. John the Divine on the Upper West Side. We drove by it every time we came to NYC.

NYC is just full of amazing little churches. I think there's one on Amsterdam that we used to pass quite often on our way in that had gorgeous stonework and little stained glass jewels. You'd hardly notice it if you weren't paying attention.

Anet said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to go to NYC someday. My goal is to go at Thanksgiving time, with the parade and the decorated store windows.
That would be awesome! Oh yes and to skate at Rockefeller Center with a horse buggy ride through Central Park.

Lisa Anne said...

I love visiting cathedrals. Your photos are absolutely beautiful.

RunninL8 said...

Sharon-yeah, I have always felt out of place in most churches. I've rarly been to one that felt warm and inviting. Perhaps it was different for me this time because I was not obligated to be in the catherdal for a service. I hear you on the dogma thing!

Anthro-St. Johns is HUGE! Said to be the biggest in the world! It's on Amsterdam, too.

Anet- My goal, too! I would love to do our holiday shopping, dinner with the fam, and sightseeing at Thanksgiving one year! I'm scared to skate because of my low back crap, but the kids would love it! And buggy rides through the park are so fun.

RunninL8 said...

Sarah- i would love to hear that rendered chorally! In Europe!