March 7, 2014

Ah! Serendipity....





Today we have synchronicty at it's highest!!!! When Dylan first told me she was being stationed in Aviano, Italy, I summoned the Google gods to see where on the green Earth it was...and the very first image that popped up was THIS one, the image above!  I was blown away. This image has remained the epitome of Northern Italy in my mind. Fast forward to the last couple days of searching hi and low for accommodations in the Dolomites.  This is the only place I've had trouble finding us a place to stay.  The place is BOOKED!  Surprising for early June...at least for hikers who may be greeted with snowed-in trails this year.  Anything still available was either WAY out of our price range or would only accommodate 2 people MAX in a wee teeny room.  Somehow,  I came upon an apartment in the Val Di Funes. Not only is it highly rated and dirt cheap (for Italy) but it's in the same town this photo was taken in! Santa Maddalena. Mary Magdalene..... A woman who's story very much intrigues me!
 
In this valley surrounded by mountains....It's ours for 4 days! 

Seeking and finding the Feminine Devine in Italy! I'm ecstatic!!!!





I've finished booking ALL of our accommodations now.  I can't believe the fabulous places that have fallen into our laps!  12 lodgings in all, each quite different from the rest.  A stone cottage right on a lake outside Aviano, an apartment in an Austrian inspired gasthaus in the mountains, a restored 1800's farmhouse/B&B on an organic vineyard in the hills overlooking Lake Garda, a Lilliputian  studio apartment-beds are in the kitchen!-in a medieval town on Lake Como, another farm-stay on a vineyard in the hills of Peimonte, a boutique hotel room in a block of restored medieval buildings, a B&B situated outside the ancient Etruscan walls of Cortona, Tuscany, a flat in a 1400's convent-turned-apartment building in the heart of Milan, an apartment with terraced view above the Riviera in the Cinque Terre...all ending with a quiet rooftop flat overlooking the Scala del Bovolo, just a walk to San Marco Square in Venice.  I wanted each place to be indicative of the area we are staying in as well as offer the food, wine and products of the region or village itself. 


And the activities!  What a hodge-podge of cool shit I have planned!  ......But I think I'll keep the rest to myself until we get back!

Here's a visual of the places where we'll be hangin' our hats!