August 19, 2008

IT'S GOOD TO BE HOME...






We spent 4 hours this afternoon "across the street" hiking up Bear Pass and on up towards the top of the ridge.
view of hike from our deck
It's about a 1500 ft. elevation gain. We hike first to the saddle pictured above and then head up to the right to the top-most point in the pic. It was hazy but cool-perfect for a steep climb. The girls powered through it-no whining from Lo! A couple of powerhouses! The fall colors high on the ridge freaked me out, though! NOT ready for that!!! We were very surprised to find blueberries along the way-pretty early in the season for that as well! They were not quite ripe but still a yummy treat. A couple of weeks and they'll be perfect.


The purple flowers Lo is standing next to in the mosaic is Fireweed. Usually the whole yard is full of it but a couple weeks ago Huz and our friend, the Prof, had to weed whack it all so that our yard would no longer be a haven for bears. But more on that whole thing later in a "catch up" post.



...I love this place. And nothing beats being high up on a peak surrounded with a view of such majestic beauty.














14 comments:

tiff said...

oh i miss those alaska mtn. hikes...great photos...your girls look so happy to be home!

Anet said...

Lucky! It's so beautiful!!!

dawn klinge said...

I have GOT to see Alaska someday! It's so beautiful.

Tammy said...

You know, NYC is wonderful, and such fun to visit.....but I bet you were thrilled to get back to your beautiful Alaska mountains.

Anonymous said...

oh! so gorgeous. the view of the mountains, flowers, sweet girls, the dog...you live in paradise me thinks.

Maymomvt said...

Wow --it is so beautiful.

Lisa Anne said...

I think I would choose Alaska over New Jersey any day, no matter how good the ice cream is! That is just breath taking beautiful. And those girls of yours...

Sara said...

Do you take bear spray when you go hiking? Just curious. I've always lived with bears and never worried when I was with my parents. Now that I'm a parent, I'm super paranoid about bears, mountain lions and rattle snakes!

Sharon said...

It is so nice to visit civilization once in a while but mountains like that just feed the soul. They are spectacular! The Bighorns pale in comparison to your pictures. I'm not much for traveling but Alaska is one place I really need to see someday.

amanda said...

That is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place!

julie said...

what beautiful pictures!!

RunninL8 said...

Hi Sara!
There seems to be an infestation of bears here this summer! This has been the first time that we've felt the need to carry bear spray on hikes. In years past it was NEVER even a concern unless we were backpacking overnight. We've also hacked down most of the fireweed in our yard for better visibility. Truly a BUMMER.

Anonymous said...

I have been seeing you post at my place for a while and just now came to see yours. Sorry, been busy!! :0) It's nice to read your blog and get to know you...you live in such a beautiful place!! :0)