November 2, 2013

Mission San Jose

I tore myself away from the morning marathon of reality TV watching(insert tongue in cheek) to continue on my Mission Trek-enjoying the convenience of my little rental car.  Today was the day of Dylan's graduation from tech school and  I had a few hours beforehand.  Yeah, there was NO way I would have been able to run to each mission the evening before! 
First stop was Mission San Jose, probably my favorite of all the missions.  Stepping through the entrance of the defensive  walls that boarder and enclose  the mission, I was fortunate to run into a very friendly and knowledgeable  volunteer who was interested in my photography.  He explained that the "Queen of the Missions", founded in 1720, had once housed more than 400 Coahuiltecan Indians, 300 children alone!  Hard to imagine such activity within the walls of this small plaza.  The population farmed, ran a grainary, as well as managed a ranch 25 miles away.  The mission's perimeter walls doubled as living quarters for the Indians.  It was a step back in time into the simple yet busy life of these residents as I entered one of the "apartments" to get a glimpse inside.  Thick walls providing shelter as well as protection from Comanche and Apache raids, white washed and bright, yet cool as the heat rose outside.
The Spanish-Baroque architecture and ornamentation of the church was gorgeous. 


 
The defensive walls/Indian's quarters with beehive shaped community stoves outside

Inside an apartment....beauty, bounty, and grace in simplicity.

 
St. Rose inside the sacristy

Onward to the church, it's courtyard garden and the unfinished monastery
 
The Gothic arches were FABULOUS!!!!





Underside of the stairs leading up into the church bell tower




One last remnant of the church's original  painted designs


Dig the Immaculate Heart above St. Joseph!
 

I was wishing Willa could be here.  It would have been easy to access the inner child and spend a day playing in this amazing place!