November 5, 2013

Southtown...and heading home

On my last day in San Antonio, I threw my luggage in the car, checked out of that sublime hotel and spent the next few hours before my flight home wandering.  I wanted to return to that cool "King William" area of town that I had accidentally landed in a few days before.  Noting the old and dignified homes from afar, I had made a mental note to return for a photo op.  Also, from my run along the river, I had noticed the Blue Star Arts Complex and figured it would fit it in to my King William tour.

 I found out that if San Antonio has an arts district, Southtown was it.   The Blue Star Arts complex boasts a brewery and eclectic food to match the many art galleries and shops.  It's also home to local artists and their studios.  A tiny but full oasis of creativity.  I took my time thoroughly exploring what the complex had to offer...striking up conversation with some very interesting people.  I wish I had had the time to explore more of Southtown's arts....


 
 Watching the time, I decided I had better head out to King William .  I parked the car and spent an hour in this culturally diverse neighborhood walking it's quiet streets and capturing some images. In the late 1800's there was an influx of prosperous multi-national yet predominantly German immigrant  merchants into the Southtown area of San Antonio.  Their traditions of brewing, sausage-making, and music fueled a fusion of American, Mexican, and German cultures unique to Central Texas.  Homes of varying cultural influences where erected within the heart of the King William community in the 1800's -it's owners desiring a quiet compound along the river with easy access to downtown.  Who wouldn't?!   One only needs to take a stroll around the neighborhood to take in all the varying architecture in a short amount of time. 








 It's been a LONG time since I've seen Morning Glories!  One of my favs.


 
I opted to skip eating out for lunch to nom jerky and dehydrated veggies in the car on my way over to zip up San Antonio's Tower of the America's.  I was curious  to see what the place looks like from on high.  While there was some interesting art and history to be found in Hemisfair Park, the view from the top of the tower was Blaaaaaaaahhhhh.  Adios, San Antonio!!!!!!!!!!



 The view?................................

WANDERLUST can be a curse as well as a gift.  It is SO hard to have it and not be able to travel extensively.....but I'm so grateful for the opportunities that have taken me to something new and different....and I look forward to wandering more.....
                                                                                      ...............Already missing Dylan but ready to be home.