February 16, 2009

Florida sucked. So vacation elsewhere.

No more obligatory trips to see in laws in Florida for me. I would rather have "vacationed" in the volcano. I'm CONVINCED my husband was adopted. No way did my sweet man come from those people. After 7 years of pleasant relations with my mother-in-law, I've now been relegated to the Hated Wives/ExWives Club. I always new it was just a matter of time until mom-in-law perceived some sort of "power" shift within the relationship-and then it was all over.
I returned to Alaska shaken, stirred and really disturbed. I've been decompressing ever since.

We spent a day in Vero Beach visiting my dad. It was horrible. Horrible because the man I knew is just about gone. He's riding the cusp of the inability to take care of himself. He's not quite there yet and there is not much I can do. Where did Raphael Raymondo go? I've gone on a maddening wild goose chase making phone calls to see what kind of aid is available to him. Thanks SO MUCH Veteran's Association-thanks for cutting loose our elders who served. Meals on Wheels. One meal a day. That's it. Anything else comes out of pocket ...and the pocket is EMPTY.
My dad was so happy to see us and finally meet his youngest grandchild. He was sweeter than he's ever been but so loopy due to bi-polar meds. It was a rough visit for all of us but I can't thank Huz enough for making it happen and my whole family for enduring through it. Lo was a little clueless but Dea was a patient trooper. The icing on the cake was when we went for a swim in my dad's community's pool. Of COURSE, the heater was broken that day. We stubbornly bit the bullet and got in. Thank GOD for the hot tub next to it. I think I shivered more on this trip than I ever have in Alaska.

The trip afforded some lovely moments, mainly having the 4 of us together for 10 days. No long work days for Huz-no school for the kids. The 2nd half of our trip brought us out of very chilly temps and into, finally, our tank tops and shorts. It sucked living in the same outfits for 4 days since we didn't bring additional cold weather clothes. We were able to do a bit of beach combing, a walk in Mayaka Park, mini golf with a dear friend, a couple runs in the AM with Huz, and ,finally, on the last day, an afternoon at the beach and a trip to the aquarium with my girls. These little tastes of outside and light and freedom only made me crave more. A sweet relative (Kory O'Carroll, you're AWESOME) came to the rescue and let us borrow her car that day, otherwise this suffocating caged wild animal would have found herself in the nearest padded room.

...The smell of the fecund ocean, the sound of her waves, her cold water engulfing my body...soothing me with her rhythms. She gave us gifts that day. 5 perfect sand dollars when I had hoped to maybe luck out and find ONE, a visit from some dolphins, and bunches of holystones! ...The blast of hot sun and light recharging me....

I had needed this SO MUCH. More than I thought until I was actually out in it with time to relax and enjoy it. I LOVE Alaska, but after an unusually cold dark summer and schizo winter, I craved warmth, sunshine and exertion. If only for a few days. Once rejuvenated, I could endure whatever else the weather gods had to offer. I was so thankful for this one day at the beach. But I'm so sad we didn't have more...


Florida sucks ass, by the way. It's a swampy, rednecky, racist, miserable state that makes me sneeze the second I touch down. Sure, there are a few beautiful beach areas to visit-IF you don't venture anywhere beyond), and if you're richer than Croesus and have a house right on the beach, things could be dandy for you in FLA. IF you just stay in your house. Otherwise it's strip malls, cement walls or Podunkville. And water that tastes like ass. I HATE Florida. Oh, and teeny tiny red ants that bite and leave you itching 2 weeks later.

Give me Mexico any day.

I'm coming back to reality now, safe in my own home. Head clearing, heart lifting.

Some of those GOOD moments:

Sunset walk with wonderful relatives on Siesta Key Beach(What FANTASTIC LIGHTING!!!)










Road trip to dad's. The beautiful but freezing pool.




Family/friends reunion on Siesta Key






The cuzs


Mini Golf



Beachcombing and wind on Lido Beach




Mayaka State Park

More windy beachcombing on Siesta Key. Lo is NEVER cold. She dunked in the water. EVERYONE knew we were from out of town.



Petting Mantas! at the Mote Marine Aquarium




Our wonderful day at Lido Beach. Post seagull attack. They didn't just beg, they effing landed on and snatched my girls's sandwiches!!! So Hitchcockian!


OOOOO. See those sunburned strips of tush along the edge of Lo's swimsuit? oooooooooooo.

Ahhhhhhh. Blessed be.......

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Fantastic pictures! I think your hubby has the same blue Hawaiian shirt as my man. Glad you're back home.

Stephanie said...

Well.
I'm glad you're home safe and sound.
(Sound being the key word.)

Sounds like it was a bit of everything.
And a bit much of some things!!

Rest easy for a couple of days.
xxx

Tammy said...

Sounds like a vacation with many emotions. I'm glad you had some good times, and so happy your family was able to spend time together...

Anonymous said...

fantastic photos. i especially like the beachy ones. with the sun, white sand, sun, ocean, sun...nice.

it's been my experience that visits back "home" are pretty much akin to being tortured. skinned alive, tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered...

glad you survived.

Marina said...

So glad you got the rest and time with your husband and gorgeous girls, the beach pictures are breathtaking :)

I have to say that I love a woman who can open a blog post with a rant about the inlaws.... you had me at "hello" babe.

Hope you're feeline recalibrated... xoxo

Joy said...

At least you got some fantastic pictures out of the experience! Having gone to college in FL, I can totally identify with your assessment. Maybe try NC next time... ;)

Loring Wirbel said...

The sad thing is, the number of parochial Michiganders I know who consider Chicago a foreign nation but always manage to go to Florida. Heaven forbid they would ever cross the Mississippi to visit moi, they might fall off the edge of the Earth. I only have one living relative in Fla., thank God. Still can sometimes find a good bookshop or music store or live show in Tampa or Orlando, but I agree, that state is wretched. Particularly Miami, which has no excuse for existing.

Anonymous said...

I've only been to northern FL -- the piny woods part, not the beach. But yes, it's pretty much a pit. Y'all are looking pretty white in those pics...good to have some sun, eh? :-)

I'm sorry you had so much trouble and worry with all the grandparents. I'm only a 4 hour flight/12 hour drive from my parents, and I wonder how it will be when they start needing help. My step-father is pretty horrible -- racist, bigoted, arrogant...and nasty and impatient with the kids. Needless to say, the next time we visit my mom, he's going out of state!

dawn klinge said...

I'm so sorry that your vacation wasn't what you'd hoped it would be. My MIL thinks I'm a pretty horrible person, so I feel for you there. You did get some pretty fabulous pics though...the beach looks like I place I'd like to be right now.

Lizz said...

I hear ya on all of that!

Nice sunset! The white soft sand is lovely. Good that you saw the joys and took in some much needed mother nature even though man threatens to take it over. lol

I too belong to 'that' club, my partner's family hates me, but they are all sick, so I don't worry about it any more. I'm doing my work!

And I haven't been back 'home' to Montana (though I miss it so much it hurts) in over 10 years. I'm sure there are reasons why.

Bless~

Anet said...

Yeah, not a big Florida fan here either. They have weird bugs and lizard things.
Well I'm glad your home safe and recovering from vacation! Sometimes I wonder why we do it.
You did get some fantastic photos!

timekpr said...

How come we have to be back in the freezin' weather??????? my tan is gone already!!!!!! at least what i had of a tan...the pic on were not that stupid!!! LUV IT!