February 28, 2009

Searching for the ....oh, I can't even find the word I need

It's been hard to find the time (a desire) to blog this past week or so. From what I read on other blogs, many people are either excited with new signs of spring, or they are feeling the February blahs. For me it's the blahs. Not in the sense of feeling down or blue, just not motivated and inspired like I felt over the holidays. I guess it's par for the course this time of year. The after-the-holidays cool down so to speak, getting sick of winter-ish themes to explore with Lo, while at the same time still loving getting out and playing in the snow. The weather this past week has been glorious-cloudless blue skies and bright regenerating sunshine. Perfect for going on runs, honing our skate skiing skills, Nordic skiing, and birdwatching.

Yesturday getting a nice snowstorm with 6 inches of powder down in the valleybut only 1.5 here. We need MORE!!! It's much need for re-establishing our snow slides in the yard. Today, again with the blazing sun and 5 degrees! Oooooh, my vitamin D.
I've a bunch ideas swirling in my head but just lack the organization and focus to make them reality. So far, we've been decorating some old cans from the recycling bin to use for herb starts and we plan on trying out other eco friendly ideas for veggie and flower starts.

I'm trying to get excited about our up coming growing season, but's that's summer and I know our spring is SOOOOO far off. Lo's been interested in both birds and volcanoes lately. Oh, and then there's germs. And bacterium. And the difference between them...poor kiddo was sick with a fever for 2 days-thus the interest. So I'm digging around for info on that and dreaming up fun ideas. Or trying to. I found a list of the birds known to frequent our neck of the woods and we've been checking off the ones we're seeing around the house. We've been watching our bird friends at the feeder as well. Right now there's been a TON of Redpolls out there!
(so cute the way they fluff up in the cold)

Lo's getting used to the "real" binoculars and loves watching out our big windows. So do these guys:
I'd like to make a photo mosaic of all the birds we tally. I've spent a lot of time online looking for the perfect birdfeeders to make to compliment what we already have, as well as volcano info and activities that are on Lo's level. This morning Huz and I introduced Lo to the Dutch Oven. Fun was had by all! Well, me and Huz. Lo...not so much. Especially after last night's garlicy pizza.
I think a part of my stagnation this past week or so is that there is SO much info online and elsewhere to mull over that I get over-saturated and go into shut off mode.

(Lo discovered a fun way to lay out her clothes for the next day!)
I've been spending more personal time playing with my camera, re-visiting my old photo mags and books, and perusing the net for inspiration. PBase and PixiPort are great places to see some really spectacular work. I've also been making a lot more time for reading. I LOVE to read and after having the leisure to read (and finish!) The Red Tent(AMAZING book) on my vacation, I just can't get enough. I just finished Rabbit Run by Updike and I've now I've got The Alchemist and The Story of Lucy Gault going simultaneously. I'll blog more about books at a later time.
(We've been enjoying the game Fairy Finds-a cooperative game where kids try to help the fairies build a fairy ring with objects found in the forest before the troll can steal them away. And the litle findings are so cute! Dew drops, blue birds, acorns, and toadstools.)

I just need the time and focus to pull all of this jumble out of my head and get a coherent timeline going. When I think of this I'm re-minded of when I wake up in the morning to discover that the cats have gotten into my yarn and COMPLETELY unraveled a ball-dragged it through the house, and entertwined it through everything likie a spider web. That mess is like my brain. And I have to painstakingly(after swearing at the cat's) gather it all up and roll it into a nice tight ball again. Ahhh, life with ADD. Never a dull moment. And I have a TON to write about that.....
(The car wash with the tri-colored soap-always a favorite.)

5 comments:

Anet said...

Lo is so creative, laying out her clothes like that and the fairy game is simply adorable! I want to play!!! I wish I had a little girl still... I have to play battle games and stuff now:(
Harpo is a devil with my yarn. I have to make sure it's put away at night or else! But can you imagine how much fun they have with it?!
We have 4 sunny days coming up here in Michigan. I can't wait! Still flippin cold though. Hang in there better days are coming!

Joy said...

The herb start cans look great. Blogging or not it sounds like your February is going splendidly. That fairy game looks fascinating. We might have to check that out.

dawn klinge said...

Those birds are so cute. Sometimes, when you talk about your ADD, it makes me wonder about myself. I can relate to so much of what you're saying.

Tammy said...

Spring is a long way off here too, and we are finding it hard to be motivated by anything. So tired of being cooped up (too cold to be outside much) and tired of the germs floating around and sending colds through the family over and over. BUT, March is here and the weather is bound to get better soon....I hope!

Love all the bird watching, by the way...

Wishing you an enjoyable week!

Lizz said...

I read The Red Tent in 3 days several years back. It changed my life.