May 6, 2009

Review ~ CROWNS by Susanna Wallis Design Shop

We had so much fun with Lo's Birthday gifts this year! In keeping with our tradition of giving gifts handmade by US, I wanted to take it a step further and patronize some talented artisans and shopkeepers that I have stumbled across over the last couple months. These next few posts will showcase some wonderful handcrafted or non-box store treasures!
The first is Lo's amazing birthday crown made by artist and author, Susanna Wallis of London. Susanna has been selling her crowns and wands since 2004. Her other talented work includes felt wall hangings, cards, collages, mosaics, restyled vintage treasures and more. Susanna has also authored the wonderful book , Beginners Guide to Needle Felting .

I first saw this crown on Waldorf Mama's site. It looked as though it was made of a fabric in a rainbow gradient and was I planning on attempting to make one like it for Lo's birthday. I think the birthday crown is a lovely tradition and Lo really enjoyed wearing one in her Waldorf class last year. When I followed the link to Susanna's Esty shop, I was delighted to find that her crowns are hand felted- with silk and merino fibers! This one was just so pretty that I went ahead and bought it! RunninL8 as usual, I ordered it alarmingly close to Lo's party and I was quite relieved when it arrived so promptly! And it was wrapped beautifully with a tiny flower and lavender sachet! As you can see in this detail photo,



Susanna has blended gleaming and enchantingly curly silk fibers in with the wool adding to the lovely texture. The crown holds it's shape very well when worn and is so light and warm to the touch.

I could have taken the pan to my head when I realized after the party as I was cleaning up that I had FORGOTTEN to give Lo the crown! Bang, Bang, Bang! I gasped and brought the little package out of the hiding spot in our bedroom and handed it to Lo. She unwrapped it and I explained that it was her special Birthday Girl crown. I apologized for forgetting about it and told her she could wear it for the rest of the day! Then I could have taken the pan to HER head! Let's just chalk it up to the after party let down and energy loss...she was thankful, but just not that into it! I couldn't believe it! She sighed and said it was a "kings" crown. My eyes rolled. You have to understand that we are going through quite the girly pink foo-foo phase HARDCORE right now! Went through this with Dea and we all survived.... Her indifference to the crown is in NO WAY a reflection on the craftwomanship of this gorgeous piece!!! It's just that my kid is stark ravin' mad.

I'll wear the fabulous thing!!!! I am, after all, QUEEN. But I think I may have to pick up Susanna's book and learn how to make a pretty flower to add on the crown to make it fairy princess worthy. ~Rolling my eyes again.
She's coming around! ;)

6 comments:

Crescent Moon said...

I think it's a beautiful crown! Tell her it's a rainbow, which is totally girly.

Anji Gallanos said...

I am sure Susanna Wallis would be Ok with a few princess embellishments..after all a princess has the prerogative to decorate her crown with whatever princessy things she can find..and all crown makers know that. Lo looks perfect in it by the way :)

anji

Joy said...

I was amazed the other day by your LO's gorgeous crown. I even showed it to my hubby because I thought it was so beautiful. I'm sure she'll grown to appreciate it more every year. :) I'm trying to figure out how to make a special Christmas crown for Finn so that he'll feel like it's a special birthday too. Maybe Susanna could help me. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Lizz said...

Happy Birth Day sweet girl and to Mama too!

I love those crowns. Her work is amazing, really.

So nice to pop over for a visit after not seeing blogs for weeks.

~Bless

Sarah said...

I think it might be my favorite crown I've ever seen out there! Love it.

Anonymous said...

I would totally wear that!

You could get some big jewels at the craft store and sew them on with a few stitches...so they won't harm the felt and can be removed easily later if desired.