June 5, 2009

BON VOYAGE, DEA!!!!

(No, you have NOT stumbled upon some teens myspace page....)

We sent our eldest on a plane to Europe early this morning(well, Denver, and then to Europe on Tuesday with a delegation of kids.) Finally, after 2 years of fundraising, saving almost everything she made baking, babysitting, and working in Huz's office, and painstakingly handling all the details, Dea is on her way to Greece(sigh), Italy, and France. She was nominated 2 years ago to become a student ambassador with People to People and travel abroad, learning about cultures/teaching about ours. We are so incredibly proud of her. Of her determination, her steadfastness, willpower, open mindedness, and moxy. My little girlie is growing up into a wonderful young woman. Wasn't it just yesterday that she was this smilin'est little thing, loving to be held, Oh. here I go....


I'm back. Little verklempt. Our home will have an empty nebulous space while she is gone. 24 days. The longest we've all been apart from each other. Poor Lo started fretting about this 2-3 months ago...If this is hard...holy shit! what are we gonna do when she goes to college?!?!? Ugh. I'm vacillating between excitement for her, nervousness, JEALOUSY!!!! ;), and a total funk. She deserves to have the time of her life and I know she will. I wish WE were the ones taking her-experiencing it as a family, but it's hard to tell when we could make that happen. I'm a big advocate of the "Travel when your YOUNG!" club, so I'm thankful and so glad we could make this happen for her, NOW. And we'll look forward to future family trips abroad....I'm sending the intention out to the universe..and now I'm gonna go down into the bowels of the basemennt and dig up my old travel guides....

Last weekend we held a Bon Voyage party/Summer BBQ with many friends young and old(er). It was the first kegger either Huz or I have ever thrown!

Usually it's a time for Huz to showcase his home brew, but with the cost of hops these days....fuggetabout it. Despite the fact that it was chilly and too windy for the bonfire or fire pit, everyone seemed to have a fun time. Dea invited a few friends to stay and sleepover as well. It's times like these when I pause to give thanks for the wonderful friends we have and the support they have shown in this and many other situations. ...Girlie, as imperfect as we all can be, I hope you never doubt for an instant how much you are loved... oh. here I go again...

Good buds:



2 of Dea's former teachers-cum-family friends came, too!



Could you just KILL for those lashes?!?!? Dea, M( Dea's future teacher!), and M's beautiful bambino.

Well, one simply MUST get a Fronch manicure if one is traveling in Fronce, oui?!?!?!

CIAO!!!!
...We love you beyond the stars...

12 comments:

timekpr said...

I miss you all already!!!! those are some great pics that you took:) and this is ur version of a teens myspace page..haha

I can't believe that i am actually going! its so exciting. i love you lo, and dad, and mommmyy! you are the best most supportive parents that anyone could ever have! I LOVE YOU ALL!
gotta go catch a plane:)

love to all,
dea

RunninL8 said...

wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, how did ya get internet access?!?!?

RunninL8 said...

And Call when ya get to Denver!!!!

RunninL8 said...

And don't talk to stangers!!!!
Stranger Danger!!!!!

Sarah said...

So excited for Dea! I hope she has an absolute ball.

I can't imagine the time when my little girl will be all grown up and heading on international trips.

I lived in Ireland in my early twenties, worked at a horse stable. I am a huge proponent of youth (especially Americans) getting out and seeing the world - living and working in another country if possible. Dea will never be the same after this trip.

Garden State Kate said...

Reading this makes me realize a bit more how hard it was for my Mom to "let me go" when I was young.Safe travels Dea...and hang in there Mamma, she'll be home soon. ;-)

Anet said...

Tears... sniff..sniff...
Oh my, how exciting!!!!
I too, am a "travel when you're young" advocate.
You must be just a bundle of so many emotions right now. I know how you're feeling momma:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have a wonderful, safe and exciting trip Dea!!!

tiff said...

oh boy...while reading this i got teary eyed...and thought what cool parents DEA has...she is off exploring and testing out her independence...that is GREAT thing!

i love the idea of traveling with my boys'...so many folks want to get away from their children...we dream and plan all the time...and know that this is the time to travel and to encourage travel!

look forward to posts that let us see into DEA's experiential learning!

Tammy said...

What a fabulous opportunity for her. I am so impressed at how hard she worked for it...way to go DEA!

And hugs to you...mama...it's hard to let them go, isn't it?

akshamu said...

Contributing to the deliquency of a minor I see. Where do I file an ethics violation at?

RunninL8 said...

How so, Shamu?!?!?!
Honestly you’re the LAST to talk, Mr. Marx....
If you are assuming that we let the KIDS drink beer or our friends get drunk off of it, you are pathetically mistaken. Our friends and fam don't roll that way. Shouldn't you be out there scavenging for nasty chicks or playing sci-fi games like a child? Does your employer know that you are wasting time and resources online? Hmmmm…

Crescent Moon said...

Wow! what an exciting opportunity! I'm sure she'll have a great time!

I understand how hard it can be on younger siblings when the older ones go away. My little boy still gets sad once in awhile about his oldest sister being away at college (we haven't seen her since Christmas), but I just have to remind him that we can call her anytime.