June 16, 2009

Ma-widge!!!! 7 years with my sweetheart!

Cue Kissel singing "Happy Anniversary!" (FF to 01:10)


Huz and I have been hitched 7 years today! We celebrated last Saturday since it sucks to have your anniversary during the week. Our ideal celebration was to go for a killer few hour hike, come home and shower and head out to a romantic dinner. But, alas, no childcare to be found. And since the Mom-in-law is here for a visit this weekend, we'll have to put off the hike for a few weeks. So off we went with Lo in tow to a nice little Italian place in town. Not the most romantic time but we'll make up for it at some point.

Found a nice hubby-meme to share for the occasion:


1. What is something your husband always says to you? Never a day goes by when he doesn’t say “I love you”. Oh, and there’s, ”Yeah, I know. You’re the SUPERIOR one.” (see #25 )
2. How does your husband make you laugh? With his quick and quirky sharp whit! By laughing with me so that our own laughter just intensifies each others. I love losin’ it with him to the point of laughing soundlessly, tears pouring out, grasping onto each other for dear life!
3. What was your husband like as a child? StarTrek playing, nature loving, sweet hearted, helpful and sensitive
4. What is his favorite thing to do? See #15, play his guitar, play outside, go fishin’, create, socialize with friends…June 12ths hike.
5. What does your husband do when you're not around? Sit in misery, meditating upon my return-what else?!?! See # 4
6. If your husband becomes famous, what will it be for? Teaching and motivating. Or his killer baking and pastries.
7. What is your husband really good at? Anything he does. Really! He has lots of inherent talents and whatever else he lacks in talent he makes up for with drive and determination. And he’s great at being a husband and daddy.
8. What is your husband not very good at? Cutting loose toxic people. Even when once bitten, he still wants to help the mongrel. He’s a loyal man who truly wants to find the good in people. I adore him for that but also worry for him.
9. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? From a lying down standpoint? He does.
10. Who mows the lawn? Lawn! We have no lawn. We have TUNDRA!!!! He weed-whacks, but I’m gonna take on that job so I can give our property a fanciful whimsical cut.
11. What does your husband do for a job? He is a financial advisor for New York Life. NOT his true calling in life but he busts his ass and is doing very well-shooting for the end result of NOT having to bust his ass ever again, all so that he can spend more time with his family and have time to pursue his own interests and enjoy life MORE.
12. What is your husband's favorite food? Pasta + seafood+ a yummy sauce = happy Huz. Skirt steak is right up there, too.
13. What makes you proud of your husband? Holy shit-SO much. His capacity to love deeply, loyalty, mind, whit, drive, #11, responsibility for himself-family-and the environment, open-mindedness, I could go on….. His smile lights up a room...
14. If your husband were a cartoon character, who would he be? Rikkitkkitavi
15. What do you and your husband do together? We are definitely kindred spirits-each other’s split-apart and we have many of the same passions-mainly we just love to drink up LIFE together-caring for and MOVING the bodies the Universe gave us, playing outside in the wilderness, growing things-veggies, flowers, KIDS-, making things, and topping it all off with good food, wine, friends and movies. We also have our own individual interests and do a great job giving each other the space to experience those things.
16. How are you and your husband different from each other? He is very responsible and able to run the household better than I do. My ADD and distractibility makes those qualities hard to achieve. He takes on the weight of the world but I just push it off!
17. What does your husband like most about you? “love and wonder of life, your laugh, your simple way of being, and of course, you are very beautiful!” ~blush!
18. Where is your husband's favorite place to go? Up. Into the mountains. Or out on the water in the kayaks. Huz just said,” In your arms/between your …..” DOH!
19. When was your first intimate kiss? July 2000 after our first date.
20. How many girlfriends did he have in the past? A few girlfriends, a marriage too young, a disturbed and vexed ex….. and me-his only WOMAN.
21. What is the most romantic thing he’s ever done? Honestly there’s just too many… He paid for my best friend to fly out here from NY to go shopping with me for a wedding dress!
I’m truly blessed to have a man who say’s the most beautiful things to me almost on a daily basis. It’s almost intimidating to hear the way he puts his feelings for me into words….He sometimes takes the sentiments out of my own mouth and sometimes I feel that I can’t match him without sounding like I just regurgitated his lovely words! He recently wrote:” You are my living work of art and we are very lucky to have you in our lives.”
22. What makes your husband happy? Being with his family –diving into the experience of life with full force.
23. What makes your husband sad? Other people’s sadness, watching our earth dying, how humankind treats one another, thinking back on how lonely he was in his 20’s and the choices he made.
24. Describe how you proposed. We embarked on a sea kayaking trip out in Blackstone bay. We paddled to the glaciers to watch them calve. It was drizzling and the sight of those glaciers was just awe inspiring. We floated next to each other and I reached over and handed him my grandmother's diamond ring. i implored him not to drop it and proceeded to ask him to marry me! It was the PERFECT place and moment! :)
(not my photo. Photobucket image)
25. Who is smarter? Well, now, it’s a known FACT that my intelligence placed in the SUPERIOR range when tested by a neuropsych, so…..ahem-ahem.
We are both bright in complimenting and different areas, which is great because we can cover just about any subject that way. We overlap, clarify and enhance each other.
26. Who does the dishes? WEEEEEEEEE! That’s what 13 YEAR OLDS are for!!!!!
27. Who cooks dinner? I used to be SOOO intimidated by Huz in the kitch. But….The kitchen is MINE now during the week and Huz cooks on the weekends. Usually. We both kick ass in the kitchen as long as we aren’t in there together!


28. Who drives when you are together? He does. It’s automatic-not sure why this is…..
29. Who is more stubborn? Yeah…that would be me.
30. Who kissed who first? He asked if he could kiss me after our first date. Sweet-n-sexeh!
31.Who wears the pants in the family? We both do-just different “brands” and “sizes”, yanno?!
32. What was the first thing your husband said to you? ”Hey, your co-workers came by looking for you the other day. They were worried because you haven’t been to work! ( I had skipped out of town for a few days on a whim to travel down to Colorado! What a bastion of responsibility I was! GREAT first impression!)
33. Did you have a long or short courtship/engagement? We were best buddies for 7 YEARS. We courted for a year and where engaged for 9 months.
34. Who eats more sweets? It’s a team effort.
35. What surprises you about your relationship since you’ve been together? I don’t think this directly answers this question but I am very surprised by how routine, fixed and flat other couples seem within their relationships. At soccer games, restaurants, out shopping, school functions, work functions….99% of the people we see only appear to be “together” because they are in close proximity to each other. Huz and I are NOT into gratuitous displays of affection, but we hug, hold hands, smile, laugh, touch, tease each other and most importantly LOOK into each other when talking. We are constantly surprised-and saddened- to see such a LACK of all that when observing other people. We are such a contrast, it seems. And we have vowed never to lose that. To become so mechanical and complacent within our relationship would be such a loss. I’m glad our children are witness to our love for each other and we wish this for all couples.

8 comments:

Kitten said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby, and many, many more!!!

Crescent Moon said...

Happy anniversary!
I really enjoyed reading this post.

Stephanie said...

Happy Happy Anniversary Anniversary!!
Yay for Love.

Sarah said...

Fantastic post. You and your husband are both very lucky.

And you quoted Princess Bride. Nice!

Joy said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

Garden State Kate said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Anet said...

Happy Anniversary!
Here's to many, many more!!!

Sara said...

Aww! I wish I had gotten to know you guys better! Erik and I don't have many couple friends, and I'm sure we'd all be spending a lot of time together if I still lived there. Happy Anniversary! We just hit our 5th on June 4.