June 2, 2009

Honoring the minutiae

One day last week we woke up to another warm cloudless day . Lo had the great idea of taking our yoga mats out onto the deck to "do some poses in the sunshine- OUTSIDE!". But I did her one better and suggested that we take our mats and a picnic on a hike to "do some poses in the sunshine- WAY UP ON THE SIDE OF Harp MOUNTAIN!!!!!". She was all for it. True to form, she donned her pretty pink fairy dress and powered like a tank with me up to the top of Celtic Harp-the first hump on the ridge leading to the top of Harp, and just the right amount of climb for a 5 year old...
Going for the "summit push" ;)
I've said it many times before-as it should be-that in some way I give thanks for this unbelievable place we live in everyday. Whether it's a simple Thank You out to the universe or a day of "worshiping in this church" (i.e., a few hours of loosing myself out in it and reveling in it all).
I reach for the perfect words to describe the soul expanding magnificence of this hanging valley surrounded by Chugach National Forrest. To watch our mountainous terrain continuously transform throughout the seasons is like witnessing the alchemy of gods. To go forth into it-from the bottom of the valley looking up at the monoliths around... or to traverse it's high ridges and look down upon its fecund floor... or across it for miles beyond is the experience of feeling both minuscule and infinite at the same time.
 
OM

In all this vastness, one can easily forget the wonderful exquisiteness that lay at our feet-no higher than the tops of our shoes. On our hike up Celtic Harp we were excited to find that the higher we went, the more tiny surprises there were to be discovered as we looked to the ground. Dustings of soft colors rising from the rock, brush, and mountain "driftwood"-a delight to see this early on-white mountain avens, a little snow gnome with a lichen beard, rocks shaped like continents,yellow tundra rose, purple oxytrope, fuzzy arctic willow, pink alpine azaleas, and lichen. Busy woolly bear caterpillars, spiders and lavender moths. Soft winter ptarmigan feathers discarded in the spring-a reminder of the white snow that so recently blanketed these slopes.
Our journey up was contrast of macro and telephoto.

The little things



Releasing a ptarmigan feather and a wish into the wind. Prayer flag style.
The descent and view down our valley toward Knik Arm
Upon our return home we looked back at our route from the deck and saw that we were tailed by a rainstorm. It produced the most shatteringly loud thunder I think I have ever heard! Two nimrods who had decided to hike to the top of a mountain across the valley from us(the highest peek in the pic above) to watch the storm come in were zapped by lightening. I always tell my kids,"NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HOW QUICKLY THE WEATHER CAN CHANGE!!!!!". Now I can add,"and don't go seeking out inclement weather in the places it's most likely to strike with deadly force!!!! DUH!!!".
Those 2 eejits were lucky to survive...
I have so much gratitude for that stunning day and that my little one and I made it home before this hit...


13 comments:

denise said...

You live in a beautiful place. I would be in awe every day. Great photos!

Stephanie said...

Awesome, awesome post, RL8.

'Looks a bit like mine today. :)
(the gratitude and celebration.)

Thanks so much for putting in the beautiful words to go with it.

xx Steph

AlaskaMom said...

Sigh....am I going to be zapped if I say, that sunny and 100+ EVERY day is a little much? I am DEATHLY afraid of thunderstorms, particularly lightining (it makes me physically ill just to see it) but right now, I'd kill for a big fat thunderhead like that of your pic. I want it to split open and POUR!

RunninL8 said...

Akmom-your backyard would be STEAMING!!!! Hop in that pool and have a margarita for me!!!! Give our love to the fam!!!!
And facebook me! Or whatever the lingo is.....

Sarah said...

Absolutely beautiful. Stunning. Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Naturelady said...

Great to see LO hiking up Harp -- what a gorgeous day! Heard several people talk about the impressive thunder! Too bad we missed it -- we were still gone on our camping trip.

Crescent Moon said...

That really is breathtakingly beautiful scenery you're surrounded by! The little pink fairy up on the mountain is really cute too.

Tammy said...

You live in a truly beautiful place. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it AND get home safely before the big storm.

dawn klinge said...

I feel grateful just to see your photos and to read about the amazing place that you live. What beauty!

Anet said...

What a great yoga spot!
"Spur of the moment" picnics are my new thing!
The surprises you found along the way are so sweet, it's just so beautiful there! You truly are blessed:)
I'm glad you two made it home just in time! Whew!!!

Sara said...

Beautiful... breath taking. I am grateful for you and that you have shared this beauty with us. Thank you.

Jenell said...

How beautifully put...to be in the miniscule and the infinite at the same time. Sigh. Yes, I've been there...once or twice. ;)

What a beautiful journey you and your daughter took.

Lisa Anne said...

And I thought I lived in the most beautiful place in the world! Everything looks amazing!! I could easily be an Alaskan.