July 16, 2013

Art lesson

My first formal private art lesson consisted of a charcoal pencil, a white coffee mug, an encouraging old lady, and a few of her entertaining biblical tails.  We all like stories, right?!
I did my best to help Willa with her first true sketching instruction.  Kind of an oxymoron because I can't draw true-to-life for shit.  But she digs my work.  Despite some bursts of frustration on her part, I think we enjoyed sitting together and sketching our mugs.  I had to stop her at one point when she was ready to throw her pencil across the room to explain that, "One of the true joys in creating art....is the CREATING!  The process from blank white page, to those first sketchy lines, to an actual identifiable object, to a finished product.  If you can't savor, enjoy, and learn from the journey, why bother?  The end result is that much sweeter when you appreciate the work along the way."  I think it sunk in.  She seemed more at peace and accepting of her difficulties "getting it right".  And she was quite happy with her finished mug after going back and continuing to improve it throughout the afternoon.  She may get easily frustrated...or even scared depending on the situation...but this kid STICKS with what she's set out to accomplish.

Today's story: La Traviata.....from my father's collection....in the background.