October 30, 2013

After 5 months.....



Holding my girl again.  She surprised me by meeting me at the airport!  I was coming down an escalator....sensed her there before I even saw her!  I could hardly contain myself!!!! 



What an amazing feeling to just wrap my arms around her tight, tears busting out.   We had a great 4 days together, reconnecting and exploring.  I got to experience all the things I was hoping to!   Witnessing her graduation from tech school was such a proud moment.  Dylan is now Airman First Class Pruner, and ready for her post at Aviano AFB!!!!

I loved having Dylan stay in my hotel room for a couple nights!  Thankfully she is no longer a kicking squirming little bed partner.  We watched our trashy reality tv as is the "hotel stay" tradition.  She introduced me to Downtown San Antonio and the River Walk.  VERY cool concept!  A below street level river flanked by restaurants galore, walkways, bridges, cafes, shops and fountains (so romantic, I was REALLY missing Miles and wishing he could experience that, too!)  Built in the 1940′s the River Walk is an amazing system of canals and waterways.  The river was prone to flooding and near the turn of the century (1900) the city wanted to drain it and reroute the river out of the downtown section.  The conservation society put forth a plan to put in flood gates, a dam and to control the river rather than remove it.  They were successful and built a little mini city, one level under the main city streets and sidewalks.  The river hosts a variety of "parades" each year-instead of cars and trucks pulling floats , barges are decked out in the appropriate theme and make their way down the river.  Dylan and I caught the "Coffins on Parade" as we sat and lunched a couple levels above the river!

The Froo-froo shopper in me was a bit disappointed in San Antonio's lack of independent clothing boutiques and art galleries.  I guess growing up with the lights of NYC visible from the top of my street in New Jersey has me spoiled!  As well as living in Seattle and spending a bit of time in Vancouver.  Lets just get it right out there.....with the exception of the River Walk, The San Antonio Missions and King William historical district, San Antonio rather sucks!  From the top of the Tower of Americas, a flat, tedious expanse into nowhere. And Lackland Air force Base?!?!  Oh, my poor baby girl!  5 months on that thing!  A labyrinth in beige, so drab it sucks what little natural color there is out of existence!   Meh.  But the explorer in me made the best of it and I had a fantastic time-especially with Dylan and especially from a photographer's standpoint!

 On a long evening run after dropping Dylan off on base, I headed southward on the Riverwalk and Discovered the Mission Trail.   I had wanted to see a cathedral, and I did the day before-downtown's San Fernando Cathedral(GORGEOUS but I didn't get to go in!!!!)-but discovering the sister missions of the Alamo was such a gift!  Another post coming to cover that!


Salt Lake, Utah YAY!!!!  I got the window seat for all my flights!!!


Mt Saint Helens



The breathtaking view from the hotel room!  Jealous yet?!?!