October 23, 2013

All packed and ready to go!



Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  And I get to ride on the airplanes!  Heading to San Antonio Texas on Friday for Dylan's graduation from tech school!  It will be the first time I've seen her since June and I can't fucking wait!  We only have 4 days together, but she gets to stay with me at my hotel and I'm sure we'll have much fun dinking around downtown.  Miles and Willa are deeply bummed that they can't come, but we're all hoping we'll have Dylan home for the Christmas if the Air Force would just get her file together already and get her orders....in order!!!!!  There's been a hold-up and she's going stir crazy not knowing when she can come home and when she'll leave for Aviano, Italy.  Such is the military. 

We were holding off from visiting her in Texas to save money and air miles for a nice chunk of time in Italy, but then Dylan called very stressed out by the fact that her biological mother was planning to visit her on graduation weekend, she made a clear plea for parental back up.  So we got me a flight and a hotel.  Turns out, that visit isn't happening after all.  Dylan's choice.  For you long-timers to the blog, I won't go into the whole bio-mother thing again, only to say that Dylan made a choice to establish contact.  Being an adoptee as well, I understand the need to investigate the "mystery" of the person who adopted out and/or abandoned their child.  I did it myself!  To try and fill that hole that I thought would make me a WHOLE person.  Age and experience has shown me that no one...no mystery or absent part of your past can make you whole, complete you, or define who you are.  It's all up to YOU and that is some of the sweetness in life!  The discovery that YOU are in charge of who you are!  I hope Dylan finds that someday.  I think she's well on her way.  It's an amazing feeling.  ...And so has been the fact that I could finally let this part of ALL of our past go from my own heart and mind.  I will always be protective of my children, but this is Dylan's journey now.  I'm just sad that it's bringing so much turmoil for her. 

So!  I'm leaving the weekend up in the air.....I'd like to do the River Walk, see the Alamo where Ozzy Osborn pissed on it, there's a cathedral there so I'll get my fix, shop a little, watch bad reality tv in our hotel room....just re-connect with and goof around with my little girl....and go for a good run or 3 while I'm there!  I'm excited to see the base where Dylan has been living these past few months, meet her friends, witness her graduation and get a taste of her current life.

I doubt I'll sleep much the next couple nights, I'm so excited!  I'm also looking forward to one last blast of summer weather before our Alaska winter hits full on!