October 31, 2013

Exploring downtown San Antonio

Yeah, so if you find yourself in San Antonio for some welcome yet obligatory reason, a day or 2 seeing the sites with your kiddo rocks!  But don't put a San Antonio trip on your Bucket List.  A full 2 days is about all you'll get.  Try Austin?
Here was our first day:
First stop: the plastic surgeon to make us mo bettah.
Fun house mirrors at Ripley's Believe it or Not.  We look like the Stretch Armstrong toy.



The first building to catch my eye, the Neo-Romanesque Bexar Courthouse.  I love the deep warmth of it's sandstone and how it stands juxtaposed against the modernity of the rest of the city.

 
A froo-froo stop to treat Dylan to new nails in preparation for her graduation.  Exciting after 5 months of military roughness and nail biting.  AND the nail tech is Mom's new BFF cuz she gave me a mimosa to sip and assumed I was Dylan's SISTER. 
 
 
 
 
The lovely River Walk.  I appreciated the many sections in varying styles and architecture; it wasn't a redundant THE SAME SHIT for the entire walk.  Each bridge, building, staircase, fountain was it's own individual piece.  Trees, flowers, ducks, the sound of Mariachis, the aroma of tex-mex and chocolate ....such a departure from any city I've visited! 
Ok, what IS it with Texans and the Bedazzler?!?!  BIG with Ladies of a Certain Age.
 
 
 
A good old fashioned vintage Theee-ATER ticket booth!  The Majestic Theater.  Why, why, WHY did I NOT catch a show here one night instead of sitting in my hotel room watching Parolees and Pit bulls?!?!?  Kicking the ass in 3...2...1......oooof!
 

A neato wall.  5 cents!  AND when Coke had COKE in it!!!!!
 
I had to stop and groove on this very Jim Dine-esque walkway!  Various and sundry tools embedded in chipped rough cement.  Texture luvah!  Thanks for thinking out of the box, folks!  I wondered if this was just some workperson's whim, or tools of some historical significance.  My minimal research has led to no answer. :I



The Alamo!  Yay?  Way.........minimal to what I was expecting?  I was envisioning tumble weeds, cactus, and the Roadrunner maybe?  Weird, this small structure smack dab in the middle of Downtown.  But, logically, what would you expect?  The line to get inside was looooong and upon reflecting back to our Empire State Building visit that took up half a day, we decided on a couple quick photos and getting on with our walkabout.
 

 
Shrimp cocktail, a margarita, and watching the Parade of Coffins from the second floor deck above the San Antonio River.  AND spying Dylan's recent ex-jerkoff holding hands with some bimbo!  Caught ya, dick!  So glad my girl has a good head on her shoulders.  Adios, POS!!!!
 

 
 
Ah!  My big Spanish-Baroque turned Gothic Revival style cathedral!!!   Our country's oldest working cathedral of 281 years!    Beautiful lit up, setting sun sky behind, festive mariachi band out front-yay!-with lancet openings, twin towers, triple portals, and gabled roof, and elaborated with quatrefoils, pinnacles, and moldings.  And the inside!  DENIED entrance because of some stupid wedding!  BOO!  Gaaahhhh.  My quick glimpse of the inside: vast, high arches... smooth... clean... light.  Strength... but delicately ornate with gorgeous dark wood and some lovely OLD marble works.  I felt compelled to dip my finger tips in the holy water bowlie thingie and attempt the sign of the cross.  I ALWAYS got the order wrong....left, right, up down....wait...UP, down, right, left....or left, right.....

 
First day done....prezzies for the family bought-Mexican jumping beans!-Dylan headed out to join friends for one last downtown night, and I , jet-lagged and OLD, headed back to our illustrious hotel.