March 12, 2009

Psychedelic sushi! -Recipe Thursday



A couple days ago I rediscovered my Barnes and Noble Sushi kit when searching for something in a cabinet. I'd totally forgotten about it and had never used it! I'd been on a sushi jones anyway so I thought I'd give it a go. It' s been lots of fun making all kinds of sushi paraphernalia and later, I'll post the results. But, since it's Thursday, and been awhile since I did a Recipe Thursday, I'm going to share the candy sushi that the kids and I made last night.

I know this is bad...sugar, sugar, sugar. But....it's so FUN!!!! You'll find them passed out on the ceiling later, but here we go:


Ingredients:

3 tbsp butter
3 cups miniature marshmallows
3 cups crispy rice cereal
gummy worms
gummy fish
sour trouts(sour gummy fish)
1 box assorted color Fruit Roll-Ups

First: Pre-peel the fruit roll-ups from their plastic and otherwise fully prepare all equipment and ingredients before making the "rice dough". Lo had lots of fun organizing and sorting the candy by colors.


2. Place 3 tablespoons of butter in a large sauce pan and heat until melted.

3. Add 3 cups of miniature marshmallows to the bowl, and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.

4. Add 3 cups of rice cereal and stir until completely coated.


Immediately pour mixture out onto the prepared baking sheet. You want to do the pressing, candy set up, rolling and cutting quite quickly while the krispie dough is still warm and malleable!!! Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray, and begin to press the dough into the sheet in a thin layer. Begin working from the edge of the shorter side of the sheet. The mixture will only cover approximately half of the baking sheet.
*You can also use a sushi rolling mat lined with cellophane to roll your logs.

5. With the short side of the baking sheet nearest you, place a pair of gummy worms an inch from the edge. Place another pair directly below, and repeat until you have a line of worms stretching across the baking sheet.

6. Using the waxed paper to help you, roll the cereal mixture around the gummy worms, pressing firmly to make a tight roll. Take a large sharp knife and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture. Place it off to the side, and repeat the worms/rolling/cutting procedure for the remainder of the cereal.


7. Slice the logs into 1-inch rounds. Wrap each round in a strip of green-colored Fruit Roll-Ups.
*I later found that placing a whole fruit roll up sheet in the baking pan, pressing the krispie dough on top of it, and then rolling the whole thing up worked better than steps # 4 and 5. It eliminated a step and just held together better.

8. To make the fish-topped “nigiri,” make an oval-ish shape with the warm krispie dough and press it onto a sheet of wax paper. The thickness should be about 3/4 inch. Place a gummie fish or sour trout on top and wrap a 1/2 inch thin piece of roll up around the whole thing.

9. For a finishing touch, decorate your sushi platter to look more authentic. Green-tinted whipped cream (or melted white chocolate) -to REALLY get 'em reved up- for wasabi, and thinly sliced pink fish or crinkled up red roll-up for pickled ginger.

Enjoy your sushi right away! The cooler these puppies get, the harder. DO NOT REFRIGERATE or teeth and fillings will be pried out!



11 comments:

Anet said...

Oh yum, I would SO eat this!!!

Joy said...

Whoa! You are one brave mama. That sushi is absolutely beautiful though. :)

Sara said...

Oh I love this idea!

tiff said...

This is fantastic...I am going to give this a try with my kiddos!!! LOVE IT! Although I love the real deal too...you are a good mommy!

Loring Wirbel said...

I have such an absence of sweet tooth that the only way I'd like them is with sour gummi fish and Sour Patch Kids - but that might not be bad!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is fabulous! So yummy and so much fun! I've got to link to this!

tiff said...

ours just didn't turn out as beautiful as yours...but the boys' sure did LOVE making the sushi!

denise said...

Wow - that is amazing! My boys don't eat any gummy stuff since the texture makes them gagish, but they would have a blast making it! :) I love the colors.

Geo said...

Fantastic! I'm eager to try this.

I one of several adults who take a group of teenage girls camping in the mountains for a week each summer. Last year the camp directors staged the first annual cookie contest, and my group won an award for Most Creative. I taught them how to make rosettes in the woods, using a propane stove! So we have a reputation to uphold this year—gotta stay strong. I think I'll give this a go at home and if it doesn't feel too crazy for camp, maybe we'll wow them with sushi this year!

junko said...

love this idea so much! It would be the perfect cupcake topper too!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

That is so fun!! Found via Little Nummies.

Heather