March 29, 2009

Volcano therapy

(Thursday's 65,000ft ashcloud as seen from space!)

OK, so it turned out not to be too big of a deal, but it was a little exciting none the less! We were enjoying hanging out at Nature Lady's house when the Prof mentioned that a report said we were getting ash. There had been a couple eruptions earlier in the day. We all headed outside onto the deck. I ran my finger over the banister and was surprised to feel grit! The sunny day had greyed up and what looked like winter fog was actually ash. A while later we went back outside to find a thin layer of ash everywhere and accumulations along the windows and windshield wipers on the cars. I could now smell a bit of sulfur in the air. Nature Lady got some pics(a couple are posted on her site!) . We enjoyed splitting our EARTH HOUR between Nature Lady's, the drive home, and our house. I was hoping to get some pics here this morning but we had a lot of wind and it looks like most of it has blown away. I haven't been outside yet but if there is anything to photograph, I'll post it later.

We've known some ashfall would be imminent after eruptions and last week I discussed this with Lo who was quite wide eyed at the thought of having to stay inside or wear face masks if we had to go outside. I Know she's been a bit frightened by the whole volcano thing these past couple of months. The volcano has been one of the most predominant subjects of her imaginative play and drawing. This is Lo's main way of dealing with both stressors and things of great interest. Sometimes both are not mutually exclusive.

So that wide eyed look on her face prompted me to engage her in some art therapy. After reading about stratovolcanos, magma, why volcano's erupt, etc. she did some drawings. We examined Daddy's volcanic rock from Craters of the Moon as well.We didn't have any clay but I thought I could put together a quick makeshift volcano out of foil and a plastic container and show her the ole' baking soda and vinegar erupting volcano experiment. Dea walked in from school at that point saying,"Oh! i remember doing this with you! And in EVERY single grade at school...". Lo was thrilled with the volcano and we went through quite a bit of vinegar and baking soda!







(Lo and Dea's interpretive dance, Erupting Frightening Volcano!)

Over the next few days volcanoes were incorporated into a lot of play. A little doll was errected out of silkies in volcano colors. Rice and beans became a volcano, as well as blocks and pillows/blankies, and paintings. I do think it all has helped her to process these very mysterious and powerful volcanic events.

6 comments:

Naturelady said...

I just posted pictures of ash on your guys' truck -- go to http://borealkraut.blogspot.com/2009/03/ashfall-from-redoubt-volcano.html

Great post -- I love how you wrote about all the different ways LO is processing the volcano in her games.

Lizz said...

Wow! Sounds exciting up your way. We've got any eye to M. St. Helens down here...one of these days she'll rumble in a big way.

I LOVE forces of nature! Though I understand the need for kiddos to process what is so big and sometimes quite frightening.

~Bless

Loring Wirbel said...

How easy is it to get ash off the windshield? Is it still falling?

Anne said...

Wow, how exciting!
We don't have volcanoes down here, they're extinct but New Zealand does. I remember when I was in Rotarua NZ the town stunk like sulphur. I couldn't even get the smell out of some of my clothes.

Anonymous said...

I love that "interpretive dance" picture! And you know we dig the foil volcano project around here :-)

Hopefully you won't have to go the face-mask route, that sounds a bit scary to me, too.

Tammy said...

Yup, I'm a month behind, lol. This is the last post I read.

Reminds me of when Mt. St. Helen erupted.