September 11, 2009

9/11. Never forget... And ONWARD.


I've been to Ground Zero twice. Both visits evoking powerful emotions of grief, horror, and anger. Memories of groggily turning on the radio that morning in September '01. KNBA and a distraught yet even-keeled Camile Conte reporting that a second plane had just crashed into another NYC building.
Paper skyscrapers...

When I brought my 14 year old daughter to Ground Zero last month, I steeled myself for another affecting blow. When I caught my first glimpse, I was quite surprised to see find how much had changed from when I had last seen it on Election Day of last year. In November, there had been a 2-3 story pit, not gaping and piled with the destruction of that day, but cleared out and reinforced with a skeleton of intricate interlays of cement walls and steel girders. There were enormous ramps set up to transport the many huge construction vehicles down into the pit.

The pit. Election Day Nov '08

I admit I was relieved to see the busyness of construction and not the carnage of those two collapsed giants. I had once stood on the deck of one of those towers on a high school photography field trip (THANK YOU for the opportunity Jane Garnes!!!) taking photos of that fantastic city and beyond. Incomprehensible to think of them both coming down...
When I returned with Dea last month, the pit was gone. What we saw from our vantage point was the ground floor of the future. Solid. Stable. They had just that morning lowered into place a 60 ft long, 7o ton girder shaped like a crucifix, one of 24 forming the core of the new skyscraper.

Ground Floor. Aug '09

Sure...NO physical structure is indestructible. We are engulfed in impermanence. But what remains and endures is the collective human spirit and the drive and strength to forge on. I think of our friend who survived to go on and marry and live a wonderful life with a beautiful child... I see brutally gouged earth and hearts rising from the ashes...

Mock-up of the future Ground Zero sight.

September 11th 2001, and the brief weeks after was the last time I felt America united, partisanship aside, embracing one another. I hope to feel that unity once again someday. Under joyful circumstance.

3 comments:

Crescent Moon said...

I really like the idea of this now being a National Day of Service. I think it is a great reminder of the firefighters who died trying to help other people.

akfnp said...

love the new banner!!! it ROCKS!

Tammy said...

Love your thoughts in this post. I too stood at the top of one of the towers a waaaaaay long time ago. I am still, years later, so shocked both towers came down.