June 9, 2011

Living STRONG

Dylan and I getting the best out of LIFE on the Turnagain bike trail

It's about 7:30 am.  I'm watching some huge banks of fog rolling down our valley right now.  But beyond that fog I can see glimpses of sun and blue sky.  I've been dreading this day, but I also feel that perhaps it's something I NEED.  A sunny day would help, so get on your way fog...  Later today we will be attending the memorial service for a young family friend who unexpectedly died 2 weeks ago.

I feel like I've been slammed with death these past few months...   My Dad died in February, then my wonderful Uncle(Dad's brother) a few weeks ago and now, the 17 year old son of friends that we've known for 10 years...We met them through another set of friends and have enjoyed watching all our children grow together.  From little ones playing Lord of the Rings in our friend's back yard to chatty teens hanging out texting and messaging...  I'm heartbroken that Dylan has had to endure yet ANOTHER death so close to the heart...her little girl crush.

It has all left me blindsided...I've found myself unexpectedly and uncharacteristically anxiety prone, down, and often, at night, pre-occupied and sleepless with thoughts of my own mortality and that of my family....  I've been experiencing some physical problems as well.

I'm determined to keep my head above water, ride out these rough waves, and find the shore again...

The sudden death of our young friend-a parent's worse nightmare, oh, my god-as tragic as it is, has brought with it a resurgence of a dire need to LIVE and live STRONG.  Just as with the death a couple years ago of our friend, Bret, I have a strong need to live life more fully, passionately  for myself and for my family. 

 Think of all those situations that come up when someone says,"Hey, wouldn't it be crazy, fun, outrageous, etc, if we did such and such?!"  And you think,"Yeah, that WOULD be wild....but...".  But you don't bother doing it?  I, actually WE, Dylan and I, -she started it- have decided this will be the Summer of saying,"What the fuck!" and GOING for it!   Well, not in those exact terms...   And we're draggin' everyone else with us.  Not that we are a mundane family at all, but we're stepping out of our stable cozy COMFORT zones and we are LIVING STRONG.  (Thank you, Lance Armstrong for the fantastic mantra "Livestrong"!!!) 

"Look at that waterfall!  I'm goin' in it!!!".  "ME TOO!!!".  
"Hey, you dare me to sit in the ice cold river?!?"  "DO IT!!!"
"Mommy, wouldn't it be crazy if we hiked up Celtic Harp, Bear Pass, AND to the bridge in ONE day?"  "Yeah!  Let's try it!!!"

Nothing dangerous, nothing too risky...just getting out of that comfort zone, going for all those little "what if we"s, and experiencing more of LIFE- with appetite and relish!

In the face of death I can either wither or face it by living the best I can...LIVE each day to the FULLEST.  Life, so fragile, can sometimes be TOO short. My friends, don't take it for granted, get out there and live it STRONG.  Turn off the screens more often, rise from the couch, get back in your body and get OUT.  DO good, BE good to each other, and EXPERIENCE and savor LIFE



Dylan dipping into the South Fork of Eagle River on our hike


Brave Willa giving it a go!



Me in Eagle Lake!  This was actually last summer, but the impetus of The Summer of "What the fuck".   Which is more like the summer of "Wet and cold!"

 
Imagine...we could have passed this experience up for fear of being temporarily cold and wet.....