November 10, 2012

Vancouver, Day 3- Gettin' my girl on

My day of froo-froo....
Shopping and not buying at high end fashion houses... I FINALLY got to try on at Tiffany and Co. the Elsa Peretti bone cuff that I have been coveting for years.  $1000 + of pure organic flowing silver embracing the wrist.  Even more beautiful in person.  Got a manicure and suffered for 2 hours while this Tilda Swinton lookin' chick gave me an expensive shitty updo that made me want to scratch my nails through it a-la diabetic Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias....
 
That evening was the big-n-fancy NYL awards dinner.  One of my twice yearly opportunities to get all Cinderella-like with a pretty dress and killer pumps.  I'm SO gay.  I start planning this shit a couple months in advance....shopping for the perfect dress, shoes, and accessories....polyvoring different combos and posting pics and requests for input on facebook.  What should I do with my hair...how should I do my makeup this time?  I hadn't had a professional do done since my senior prom-and the stylist for my wedding NEVER SHOWED UP!  I decided I would find someone in Vancouver to perform an updo with this head of mine for the shindig.  I deseve some fussiness, right?  From our hotel room window I spied a salon right across the street.  Convenient in the rain.  Gave them a call.
After Miles's meetings that morning we met up for lunch. Bangers and mash for me at Johnnie Fox's Irish Snug. Picked because that's a cool name. "Top-o-the-mornin' to yeh!  It's off to the snug with us!".
Snug indeed.  Wish I had one of these down the street!
 
 
Happily made the obligatory church stop.  The wood in this one was gorgeous!  I asked Miles if he dared me to lap some holy water out of the bowl.....
A little more exploring and then I made my way over to Suki's place of all things hair.
2+ HOURS for crissakes later and laden down with FIFTY bobby pins in my head-and I don't HAVE a ton of hair!- I walked out of there late for cocktail hour and a hundred bucks waisted.  My hair did NOT turn out like this, dammit:
Here's the back...not too bad...but I'm not showing the front close up.  She took out curl where it should have been and put curl in where it shouldn't:

...And I was stuck quickly dressing and slapping on my makeup in order to get to the NYL dinner on time.  Not my most Cinderella-y minute...but oh, well.  We still had fun.  Loved my dress and shooz!
A chance to take a photo after the dinner. Here I am looking like I'm wearing my step-dad's toupee.