April 17, 2008

PIZZA ANYONE?!?! Thursday’s recipe:


When I first moved to Alaska, I got a job as a manager in the bakery/deli /eatery where my Huz was the head pastry chef/baker. I was forever hiring and firing the Pizza People. Lame-o's one and all. Abusive tempers, no call no shows, flirty dimwitted tarts… So I often spent my workday picking up the slack at the Wood Fired Pizza station. I ROCKED that pizza station. I was the best pizza makin’ fool that place had seen.
And now, 8 years later I will share the Huz’s recipe for Pizza Dough:

LO loves to help with this, especially if the flour shoots out all over the place. In a Kitchen Aid(hopefully you have a Kitchen Aid)mixing bowl ,mix together using the dough hook:
3 1/3 C FLOUR
½ C SEMOLINA
1 ½ tsp DRY YEAST
1 ¾ tsp SALT
1 ½ tsp OREGANO
1 ½ tsp BASIL
Slowly add 1 2/3 C WATER and mix on 7 (Med) for 10-15 minutes. Dough should be warm and slightly sticky-not enough to goop up all over your fingers, though.
Break off a small piece and let the kiddos have fun with it!
Lightly flour dough ball and let sit for an hour to rise.
Punch down, drape over your fist and carefully start stretching into a circle. Then SPIN that sucker up into the air!!! Wheeeee! Kid’s dig it!
Sprinkle semolina on a pizza stone before placing dough on top.
Or, pull and stretch and form it into a cookie pan that’s been sprayed with Pam.
Top with whatever toppings you like. We love roasted garlic and Alaska Sausage Co. Loozyanna hot links. Bake on 500 for 10 min. or until it looks done!

1 comment:

denise said...

Drool. That sounds wonderful. We want to build a clay oven in our backyard to bake bread and pizza and stuff, but have to settle for our kitchen oven now. We may have to have pizza this weekend. ;)