April 2, 2008

THE Quintessential Waldorf-esque Book!

I have read many of the standard Waldorf recommended books i.e. Children at Play, You Are Your Child's First Teacher, Beyond the Rainbow Bridge, etc. All are great- but my beyond doubt favorite is Heaven on Earth, by Sharifa Oppenheimer.





It is so beautifully written-a smoother read with a more modern and applicable feel then Children at Play. I found this book to be almost poetic, and it just reaches out to stimulate all your senses! What I really appreciate about Heaven on Earth is that it is not a step by step guide book to change. Reading this book is the empowerment and encouragement of a gentle yet powerful evolution. Along the way, the author enfolds you in a wonderful symbiosis as she works with you to journal ideas and inspirations from the readings. This has helped me immensely as far as organization and planning goes in the evolution of my own family's lifestyle.

It's a very comprehensive read with great side bar notes that have helped me retain the info(I have Attention Deficit Disorder). They are also very useful for quick reference.
And the black and white photos in the book are just fabulous and really capture the essence of childhood.

Inspiring!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ooo, I have not heard of this book yet. Thanks for posting about it!

My favorite parenting book like that is While Child/Whole Parent. It's one of those books that is just amazing and inspiring, not a how-to but a why-to.

dawn klinge said...

Would you recommend this book for someone with older (age 4 and 9) kids, or is it geared toward the preschool years? It sounds good.

RunninL8 said...

Definitely great for your 4 year old! The ideas in the book also encompass home life in general: the rhythm of your days, festivals and celebrations, play spaces, etc- that would benefit your 9 year old. Our homelife is going through a nice evolution and whole family ( my huz and 13 year old)has been reaping the rewards!