December 19, 2008

Penguins. OPUS would be proud....Recipe Thursday

First off, I just posted like 1 or 2 other posts and an important petition, below this one-which I rarely do so close toether- but I LOVE these ideas and I'm being impatient! I wanted to get them out to folks before Christmas, so don't forget to scroll down!!!!!



Lo's Waldorf class had a little Holiday feast the other day and one of the moms brought in these penguin snacks. So friggin cute, I DIE!

We re-created them last night for a snack before swimming lessons:

Ingredients:

6 hard-boiled eggs
12-16 whole black olives, approximately
6 baby carrots for feet and a few more for beaks. ....or whatever you call them)
6 toothpicks
(and a celery "string" if you can finagle one off of a piece...)

Directions:
1. Hard boil the eggs. Drain, set aside to cool then peel.

2. BODY: Cut a small slice off the wide end of each egg. (Cut the slice so that the penguin can stand up on its own.).

3. FLIPPERS: Slice three olives in quarters lengthwise. Cut a small slit down each side of the"body" of an egg and insert one olive piece on each side.

4. CHEST: Cut approximately 1/2" sliver of black olive lengthwise. Make a tiny slit down the middle of the hard boiled egg and carefully insert the olive sliver.

5. HEAD: Place one toothpick down the center of the top (narrow end) of each hard boiled egg. Attach the whole olive with the hole in the center of the penguin's face.

6. NOSE: cut six small triangular pieces of carrot or bell pepper-large enough so that it will fit snugly in the olive hole and not fall out. Place the carrot or bell pepper piece in the olive hole.

7. To serve, arrange the soon-to-be endangered penguins on an irregularly shaped piece of styrofoam.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Those are adorable!

denise said...

Oh, those are cute!

dawn klinge said...

Ahhh...I love those!

Anonymous said...

Very cute, and healthy! I know two little kids around here who would gobble those up.

Anonymous said...

Really cute. May I suggest using a potato peeler for the celery? Or substitutions, such as an apple peel or tomato without the middle or a radish paring for the neck scarf?

Anonymous said...

Super CUTE!!! I would love to feature these on Little Nummies. Let me know.

littlenummies@gmail.com

Thanks!!
~ Kellie ~

Michelle Kaufman said...

Thanks for posting a picture! My daughter's class is studying penguins and is having a black and white food party. Can't wait to make them. I am going to put a gold fish cracker with each penguin.