December 23, 2008

WOOD UNIT BLOCKS...Easy-n-cheap!!!!!


Last Christmas, Huz made a set of kindergarten wood unit blocks for Lo. It was so simple! Just a matter of buying 4xwhatevers of pine, following a spec chart, doing the math, ripping the wood and sanding with a belt sander. Lo was amazed by this gift handmade by Daddy and has been incorporating them into her play almost on a daily basis for the past year. Here's a quick schematic and you can find instructions for making your own HERE.


I've really enjoyed seeing so many blogger's Christmas tree ornament posts! It's interesting to get a little insight into people's personalities and histories. Thought I would share a few of ours over the next few days:

Every year we make a set of Christmas ornaments to send to family and friends. Here's this year's batch. Wool wet and needle felted using cookie cutter shapes. The bear is my fav.


Every year at least one of us gets an REI ornament that showcases our love for the outdoors.
Dea's mountain bike and Santa on a kayak trip!

Hot cocoa-a camping must have.
Buddy the elf. THE bestest fast food kid's meal toy we ever got!!!
Lo's first Christmas. Her smilin' face just slays me!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun to see your ornaments! Merry Christmas!

Anet said...

We have blocks just like these where I work, they cost a bundle to buy them.
They kids just love to play with them.

Your ornaments are adorable!
Lo is just a doll!!!
Merry Christmas to you and your family~

tiff said...

Oh my those blocks are awesome...bummer we didn't make our own when the boys' were wee ones...but we did have someone else do it for us! Love that you shared the specs!!! so cool.

As for your ornaments...just love the cookie cutter felting ones...the boys' did something similar while living in Unalakleet and then they took beads and attached them using a needle and thread all around the outside. I also laughed out loud about Buddy the Elf being the best fast food ornament. WE get an REI ornament each year too...I posted our Santa Snowshoe one on our site...but we have a canoe Santa and telemark skiing Santa too...fun!

Your baby girl is a cutie patootie!

Lisa Anne said...

I love seeing everyone's ornaments too. I was taking pictures of some of my fav's when my camera died:(

The blocks are great!

Anonymous said...

My dad made a bunch of blocks for my kids a few years ago, but his were just random scraps...I can't decide if it's better to have them more random and "natural" or to have them stack and work together better!

RunninL8 said...

Anthromama-BOTH!!!

dawn klinge said...

I enjoyed seeing your ornaments. Those blocks are so nice...how cool that your DH could make them. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!