January 16, 2009

Batten down the hatches!!!!

OK? So, within a 2 day period, we went from an unusual 2 weeks of -15 temps to +40ish with crazy 100 MPH wind and rain. It was pretty trippy waking up in the middle of the night to see the trees outside blowing sideways. Today is the 3rd SNOW DAY in a row -unprecedented for this part of Alaska!!! ONE snow day a school year is rare. But 3 in a row?!?!?! With Dea playing hookie on Tuesday to go skiing with us at Alyeska and an in service coming up on Monday, she'll have had another week long vacation!
Wind warning issued for Turnagain Arm, HillsideThe National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning for Turnagain Arm and Anchorage's Upper Hillside starting Friday morning. The warning is in effect from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, with southeast 50 mph with gusts 75 to 100 mph, the Weather Service said. Gusts of 50 mph are expected in east Anchorage through the afternoon, and very heavy winds are expected on the Hillside and Turnagain Arm through much of the evening.


Gramma D got to experience the full gamut of our weather on her trip and she took off safely for New Jersey yesterday morning. We've been laying fairly low this whole time. On Wednesday we lazed around with Gramma. We ventured out late afternoon to hit the mall and then check her into her hotel room downtown. She figured she would stay closer to the airport that night in case the weather worsened. She had an early flight the next morning and didn't want to drag us out of bed. Huz met up with us at the hotel and we all went out for a nice dinner at Cafe Croissant.

Afterward we goofed around in Gramma's hotel room, turning off all the lights and taking "blind" pictures. Gee, have you noticed Lo's tongue? Ya know when your Grandmother always said ,"Your face is going to freeze that way!!!" when you made faces? 'Tis true.

Dig the reflection over her head!
We said a sad goodbye and braved the roads for home.

Yesterday was spent baking, playing outside in the wind and swiftly melting snow, making a snowman, and making upcycled Shrinky Dinks.


Have a plethora of #6 plastic containers hanging around?! Cut them up, decorate with colored sharpies, and throw in the oven for 2-3 minutes at 350. A fun and creative way to utilize all that plastic.

I screwed up and actually used some #1 plastic that turned white in the oven but didn't really shrink-it just curled a lot. Stay away from the #1. We made the usual and I also I attempted to make a couple rings as well as some beads by cutting tapered pieces,

coloring them, and once they were hot, using a pot holder to wrap the plastic around the nose of jewelry pliers. It took some experimentation, but they turned out very pretty .



Would have been better, I'm sure, if I hadn't used #1! Some other fun things to do with your plastic HERE. You can incorporate your shrinky dinks into this cool mosaic idea.

Today we'll finally be taking down our Holiday decorations(!). We kept them up so that Gramma D could see them-but I'm ready to have my house back! I'd really like to watch this YouTube vid and learn how to use the drop spindle that Santa brought us. We'll go outside and try to make some ice slides as well as check to see if our snowman is still in one piece! And I think a nice cuddle on the couch with a movie is in order! I suppose we should come up with a back-up plan in case we lose power.... I always feel a (disturbing) sense of peace and relief when the power goes off. There are times when I just wish we could flip a switch to cut the power from the house for awhile. It's amazing how quiet it gets!

15 comments:

Joy said...

Yikes, that weather sounds scary! I think I'd be laying low as well. Cool ring! I'll have to see if I can find some #1 plastic around. :) My boys would be all over melting plastic!

Joy said...

Ack! #6! I meant to say #6! Now you're going to have ME melting the wrong thing.

denise said...

Oh, shrinky dinks. Flashback. ;)

That is some wind! We have had the dangerous crazy cold. It is going to finally get up above zero this weekend. Woo hoo! It should feel balmy comparatively.

I love power free too. It is almost like all the energy just buzzes at some frequency I might not hear, but my brain picks up. I kind of crave having a power free cabin somewhere for us to escape to a few weeks a month. ;)

RunninL8 said...

Denise, Yes! i totaly know what you mean about the frequency thing! Even when the power goes off while we're sleeping, we wake right up as if a loud noise went off!

Loring Wirbel said...

We get 75mph gusts and they make the semi trucks stop driving down I-25. But 100 mph? Might as well be a hurricane.

And speaking of you and Joy arguing about #1 vs. #6, did this have some hidden reference to Patrick McGoohan's recent death?

RunninL8 said...

Loring-"I am not a number, I am a free man!"
And Richardo Matablon is dead as well....

julie said...

and I thought CT was cold! : )
stay warm!

Anonymous said...

That's crazy wind! Good time to stay inside, indeed.

Do they make the school year longer to make up for the snow days?

Greywolf said...

I use blogspot but I don't seem to be able to come up with the slick approach that you do for your site. Do you use a special template or are you just so **** talented. Please let me know as my daughter is always making fun of me as I can't quite keep up.

dawn klinge said...

That's some crazy weather. I love it when the power goes out as long as we have enough firewood and food. You've got me wanting to make some shrinky dinks now. ;)

Laura McIntyre said...

That craft looks like great fun, im always getting great ideas from your blog

Stephanie said...

Whoof! Some wind! I love storms - but when the wind is especially fierce, I feel a little like one of the three little pigs.
Good thing our house is brick.

PS - I'm featuring this one at Growing Naturally today!

tiff said...

Runnin8...
My dad is greywolf...if you were wondering what old man was stalking your blog...he apparently likes to read what you have to say...and likes your blog layout. Of course as always i enjoy reading your blog...

I can't believe your weather...and the fact that you have had so many snow days...that is just unheard of in Alaska...the 12 years we lived in AK we never had a snow day...

Love your shrinky dinks...you do amazing things with your kiddo's...I am amazed by your energy!

Where are the pictures of you skiing Alyeska?????? I bet you had a blast! My guys just left for Aspen for ski lessons this a.m.!

RunninL8 said...

ANTHROMAMA-I think they allow for 3 snowdays before they have to start making up the days at the end of the year.

GREYWOLF-Hi there and thanks for the compliment! I'll have to go back and figure out what template I used-nothing too fancy. And I just used my own photoshoped header. I'll be stopping by to see your blog!

LAURA-Hi! Thanks for the kind words! I need to come over and catch up!

STEPHANIE- I didn't realize you were doing features! Thanks for adding mine! I hadn't been over to Growing Naturally in awhile!

ELUCIQ-Your dad's a hoot! Aspen-how awesome! We had a great time even though it was raining at the base! We were soaked through! I'll post pics later...

Sarah said...

Ooh, Shrinky-dinks! So fun!