January 20, 2009

The dawning of new hope: President Barak Obama


Flashback, November 4th:

Forever emblazoned in my mind:

Standing with my husband in the middle of Times Square in my bare feet (blisters. Par for the course for me in New York City) engulfed in the throngs of humanity.
All waiting and watching at the bottom of towering monoliths baring the images of two men, a cacophony of numbers-maddening!- advertisements incandescencia, and RED, WHITE and BLUE.


30 minutes later, back at the hotel room, expecting the election to go on a few more hours. I was entering the bathroom when they called it. Shocked, I jumped back on the bed with the Huz. We watched Jessie Jackson cry, a zaftig lady with a glorious face bursting with emotion jumping up and down, and hordes of people -arms and banners and hands fisted in triumph, raised in the air. After about 10 minutes of stunned silence I let it all out. With the tears: The fear, the agonizing, the clenched solar plexus, the disgust and disappointment in our Governor-in our President-in our Government, the waiting and waiting, the rallies, the powerful and ingenious signs, the blogging/ers- spreading the words, images and videos. The wonderful camaraderie shared and friends made...And the blossoming of hope and anticipation. Pride. Faith in the people. A restoration of STRENGTH.

In one hour HE'S IN.

You have a hard long road ahead, Mr. President. I wish you Godspeed and "the courage to change the things you can".

And, THANK YOU.

*Camile Conte! I hope you're havin' the time of your life down in DC!!!!! xoxo

4 comments:

Anet said...

Yea!!!
The party in Kenya looks like a blast. "Obama, Obama, yeah Obama!"
I know it's going to take time... I wish him Godspeed too!

Loring Wirbel said...

I am happy to see even the pompous Fox News call on its supporters to be "respectfully critical," and actually have some good things to say about the day. I wish some of those supporters would listen. Many creeps hiding behind anonymity are posting to the Denver Post and Colorado Springs Gazette with racist and conspiratorial tripe that makes you realize there will be a significant minority that will re-launch the rightist militias of the 1990s. Lighten up, people, you've got a new president, and I wish him Godspeed too.

dawn klinge said...

That must have been so exciting for you to be at Times square on election night. Today was truly incredible.

Tammy said...

Yesterday was a humbling and amazing day in our home. All the girls and I watched the inauguration, even Kayla....

I've missed your blog. It's taken me a while to get caught up on all you've been up to. :)