January 17, 2009

MEH.


What utterly nasty-ass weather. Ick.
And Bleh.

Our poor snowman!!! We just built him Thursday afternoon and this is what he looked like on yesterday's brave 1/2 hour excursion outside to slip around on our asses play. I shudder to think of what he looks like today... I thought it might be a good idea to go out and get some fun out of this ugly bummer weather. Not sure if you can tell from the pics, but there were actually little rivulets running down our driveway of ice. Everything was dirty and melty and dripping including Lo and I after sliding down the driveway a few times sans sled.





A luge. Just plain blech. There's NO WAY we're getting the cars up the driveway until we pay to have it graveled or spring comes and melts it all. In fact, no one in the neighborhood was able to get in or out of their driveways, let alone up our street to the main road off the mountain. Abandoned vehicles all around the street. Creepy. Let's move on to a better more cool and clear time. Say, Tuesday and the few days leading up to it. (Here is Nanook of the North, freezing)


Tuesday, Dea played hookie from school and while Gramma spent some one on one time with Lo, we (Dea, Huz and I)drove down to Alyeska Resort for some downhill skiing. The rain started on the drive in and it was spitting at the base of the mountain but up higher we still had snow. Wet and heavy snow. Ungroomed. But, to our surprise, we all did quite well skiing and had a great time!


Earlier in the week, Gramma and I came to school with Lo and spent the day in her class.
Gramma really enjoyed seeing what a day in Waldorf is like and Lo loved having her there. Most of Gramma's visit was filled with playing outside, snow shoeing, shopping and eating out, and just relaxing inside.

Dea's best friend, K who lives next door, gave us her Mouse Trap game-I hadn't played that in YEARS! We had a fun time playing that and Blockus by the fire one evening.




This Jabba the Hut lookin' thing is a King Cake-eaten at Mardi Gras. The kind folks at Cafe Croissant gave it to us after making one too many.
Yeah, I know, that was random...

13 comments:

Anet said...

Strange weather in deed. Here in Michigan most schools were closed because of frigid temps. I was freezing in my living room...old drafty house! We pluged in the electric blanket and watch some Netflix movies all day.

I loved Mouse trap, so nerve wracking is that trap!!! Oh, do they still have the funny little man that dives into the barrel/tub thingy?
Looks as if gramma had a full and wonderful visit with the family:)

Stephanie said...

I'm not there yet, thank goodness.
Usually in February it happens. Done.
So done with everything being gray.
Gray snow, gray skies, gray air, gray trees - done, done, done.
I don't even quite feel that I've settled into winter, yet - too much to do, still!
Course, as soon as I "settle in", I'll enjoy it for a day or two, then be ready for it to be over. :)

RunninL8 said...

Anet-I've been contemplating electric blankies lately! And yes, the little green guy still jumps into the tub! It IS a goofily clever game!

Stephanie-I hear you on the grey thing. Springtime here is called "break up"(due to the deluge of snow and ice breaking up and melting) and it is just as you described, plus dirt and trash emerges. It's like we;re experiencing it already! Never visit Alaska in springtime!

Joy said...

Ummm...yuck!

Blockus seems to be everywhere lately. My parents were just telling me about it the other day; apparently someone introduced them to it and within days, they had the regular version AND the travel version.

julie said...

All that ice does make it nasty out , but it does like your little one was having fun. I know my boys would have a blast. They have been out everyday sledding and snowboarding off the porch - love winter but hate the cold!

It is so nice that your mom is able to spend such wonderful time with you and your family.

dawn klinge said...

I love the photo of your mom and Lo painting at her school. It sounds like a your mom's visit was a good one.

tiff said...

holy cow...weather...geesh!

that picture of Lo is so sweet...even thought she is soaked.

your mom looks like she had a good time at waldorf.

sounds like skiing was a blast at Alyeska! fun times!!!!

tiff said...

thought or though...

can you tell i have been typing out comments for my kiddo's in my room...i can not spell anymore!

Loring Wirbel said...

For once, the cheesy guy on the Weather Channel isn't saying "Oh you poor folks on the Palmer Divide (Monument, CO) are getting some of the worst weather in the nation!" I'm seeing all these stories of oobleck in Alaska and Atlanta and Michigan and Indiana, and just enjoying 55 degrees in Colorado. Weather is still chill enough at the resorts to keep most of the snowpack from melting, but down here, it was fun wearing a sweater to the MLK march.

Anonymous said...

I wish it would go instantly from snow to no snow and back...none of this ice and slush stuff! We've had a thaw and then no more new snow, so the only stuff left is the big icy piles left by the plows. So the kids still have a little sledding spot, but the roads and sidewalks are totally dry.

How fun to have Gramma there. A good time to be cozy together inside.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Brings back memories!

I remember in Anchorage the ice being so incredibly thick. Our driveway was nearly impossible to manage. (especially since we were on Hillside).

Oh! And the wind! Funny thing...we had such extreme winds (I remember at least TWO roofs blowing off in one wind storm) and yet we never heard about it on the Lower 48 news. But we did hear about Hurricane This or That but never about our annual wind storms.

I miss Alyeska and Girdwood. I loved going skiing and snow shoeing and hiking out there.

We really need to do a trip up to Alaska. I'm afraid that once I see it again I won't want to leave! ;)

tiff said...

oh i forgot to say that Ollie's Ski Trip is one of our favorite books...we love all of Elsa Beskow's book!

Erin said...

We love Ollie's Ski Trip!! That is the most awesome book! I can't even imagine that much snow and ice. We are crossing our fingers for a few inches tonight. :)