January 11, 2009

Toes and truffles


I can honestly say not a day goes by that I don't take pause and thank the universe for blessing me with such a wonderful family. Even when I'm crabbing about teens leaving junk on the floor or 4 year olds who aren't "using their words". I love my sweet handsome hunny and my 2 kiddos beyond measure. And as much as the past has been heart crushing at times for my Dea and for Huz and I, I am so thankful that fate played out the way it did and that God has given me the gift of her and the honor of being her mother. 2 years ago yesterday I adopted Dea.

tears

Adoption day '07 at the courthouse and the celebration with friends afterward.

For our anniversary, we try to do a little something special to mark the day. This year I thought it would be fun to indulge in Chocolate and pedicures. After her flute choir rehearsal, we ventured over to the much worshipped chocolate lounge that you may have read about here before, Modern Dwellers. Chocolate Heaven (or Hell, depending on your point of view!). They have a vast array of truffles and someone there really gets off on mixing some unorthodox flavors! I had been planning on getting the Tokyo Tango: Ginger and wasabi ganache with nori and ginger on top since our last visit. Dea got the pretty Raspberry with the purple iridescent powder on top. *We also got a couple cups of the coveted drinking chocolate. I got my usual Mayan Spicy and Dea got the Dark Silk. To Die From. After getting our stuff to go and chatting with our good friend who happened to walk in, we took off to get our toesies pampered. Here are the before shots: PU!

A work of art! Lookit those things!!!!And this kid's got some big ass big toes!
And the afters!

Ahh, relief...easy on the eyes now.

Our drinking chocolates were earth shattering as usual. As you can see, I thouroughly enjoyed mine.
I had considered riping the cup open to lick it clean, but decided that some restraint and decorum was appropriate modeling for my teen(who can belch longer and louder than me at times). Sadly BOTH of our truffles sucked. They must have been old or something because even though chocolate and wasabi together are a weird thing, the raspberry still should have been yummy. Good thing we were still floating on the ecstasy of the drinks and our foot massages to care too much.



Add caption
Pedicures never last long enough, and we donned our groovy pedi sandals, braved to sub zero temps through the parking lot and headed home to Grandma who had been hanging with Lo and Huz all afternoon. We came home to our awesome new kitchen faucet!!! I know, I know, too exciting to handle. Later in the evening we all celebrated the day together with a fantastic dinner at Villa Nova. It was really nice to have my mom along on this special day.

And Dea, girlie, I love you beyond the sky, beyond the stars and Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis MUCH!


*Raspberry Grove Photo by ModernDwellers

13 comments:

timekpr said...

I have big fat toes, but you have big long toes. ANd thanks for letting the world now how inpolite I am with my burrping SKILLS! !!!! :-):-)

Joy said...

What a wonderful tribute to DEA! I'm glad you had such a lovely day. :)

RunninL8 said...

Don't worry, I think they all probably heard you anyway! And it's the other way around-me, fat big toes(they're shorter than my "pointer"toes!), you-long big toes.
;)

Anet said...

Awesome time with Dea!
I have never had my finger nails done let alone my toes!
Good for you, to pamper yourselves and celebrate! You are so blessed with such a beautiful girl:)

Lisa Anne said...

I think you can lick the cup and still have some decorum. When I was in France, Jerome's mother took Amelia and I to visit a castle (Langeais) with the main pretense to take us to where they had the world's best hot chocolate (she's been around the world too). After we finished our cups she began to lick her cup and Amelia and I didn't know what to do, she told us this is how she stays wrinkle free-it is a way to stretch the muscles around your face- Voila! Amelia and I didn't hesitate to join in (as well as the Buddhist Nun who was with us!!)

Beautiful story of your adoption of Dea, your relationship is very special, I can really feel it. Lucky you!

dawn klinge said...

What a special day for you and Dea. Chocolate and pedicures sound like a perfect way to celebrate.

denise said...

Happy anniversary to both of you. :) What a fun way to celebrate. Those truffles look amazing. mmmm.

Sara said...

The toes look great!!! What a great day it must have been.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways karma will bring people together. And now you have yet another day to celebrate your family. (And a wonderful reason to splurge!)

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

I'm not sure if you realized this ...but I'm (former) an Alaskan. Yep. Born and raised in Anchorage. My Papa was a Bush pilot. Hubby and I very sadly had to move away. Alaska will always be my home and I miss it terribly. I can also tell you the Midwest feels dang cold compared to Alaska (Anchorage and Fairbanks!).

I'm really enjoying reading your blog! Thanks for visiting mine. :)

Unknown said...

What a great day! Gorgeous relationship.

Here's a link to those moodboards you asked about: moodboard

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary!

Look like you had a wonderful day!

Jessica said...

Greetings from NY-where we're having a blast of Alaska air! Those pedicures paired with chocolate must have been so wonderful!!! Thanks for visiting my place, I'll have to stop here again!