May 8, 2008

SKIRT STEAK, fugly and fantastic!-Thursday's recipe

Scuse me while I wipe the saliva from my chin...

Ok.

Huz and I are COO-COO Crazy Go Nuts for skirt steak!!! Lately I have had unrelenting cravings for for it and I'm vying for making it our weekly Sunday night meal. Because the girls don't really care for beef we save this treat for nights when Dea is at a sleepover. We'll throw a burrito Lo's way and commence to devouring this much revered piece of flesh.

Skirt steak is ugly, thin, and cantankerous to cook!


Traditionally, skirt steak, which is cut from the ribcage, was/is used in Mexican dishes. Namely fajitas-just easier to deal with that way. Overcook it by seconds and you have shoe leather. Grilled or pan seared to perfection and you have the most glorious, the most fully flavorful and still the most ugly piece of manna on earth.

It's not always easy to find in Alaska. In fact we usually go halvesies on a case with our best friends when Huz orders one from our buddy at Nino's Italian Eatery(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!) Those of you in the lower forty eight might have an easier time finding it. Best bet for a stellar cut of peeled outside skirt steak is the butcher shop. Make sure it is already peeled or you will be wrestling with a piece of meat encased in a funky thick skin.


So!

2 12oz peeled outside or inside(most flavorful, more $) skirt steaks

1. Sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.

That's it! The rest of the flavor is from the steak itself. IF it is not over cooked. That's the hard part.

2. Grill or pan sear on VERY HOT-there should be lotsa smoke! About a minute and a half on each side.

3. Serve with roughage and starch!

A Cabernet Sauvignon is a beautiful thing with this meal. May I recommend Sagelands 2005 Cab. Bold! Cherry, berry, and dark chocolate flavors layered with spices.





I'm an addict.


3 comments:

denise said...

Yum - that sounds delicious. We are lucky enough to be able to get all of our meat from a local farmer. They raise grass fed highland cattle. So good! I'll have to try your recipe!

RunninL8 said...

NICE!-I wish we could go organic!

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, bet my hubby would love it.
Im not a steak eater myself