May 11, 2008

WE NOW RETURN TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM

SPRING HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!!!





What fantastic weather we had yesterday for the May Faire and Lo’s birthday party!






We spent the first part of the Day at Aurora Waldorf school’s annual May Faire, one of our most anticipated events of the Fair/Festival season. Crafts, games, juggling, pony rides, food and folks against a backdrop of folk, bluegrass, and classical music performed by students and parents of the school.



Lo started off a bit cranky but was fine as soon as we put some food in her belly. She also tends to get sensory overload at events and really needs to ease into all the goings on. It was sunny and warm and an enchanting place to pretend you’re in a charming fairyland village. The kids enjoy buying their jewels(colorful glass floral stones) and keeping them in their little sacks around their wrists. Such a fanciful “currency “ to use to pay for all the activities! Face painting is always a favorite of Dea’s and I wish I had volunteered to help at that booth! I love transforming kids into creatures! Lo chose to be a colorful lion and Dea opted for the minimal blossoms.




Other activities included hula hoopin’,


A long wait (Mommy and Daddy tag teamed it)on line for a pony ride,


pot painting and tomato and herb planting,



Fishing for a surprise,

Jump rope making,



Making juggling balls and learning some juggling tricks ,


And making fairy garlands.


After a couple 3 hours we re-entered the real world and headed home for the birthday party. All of us were fortunate that Lo took a nap on the way home! It had already been such a high stimulus day! We had anticipated the usual birthday meltdowns but it actually went smoothly in that respect. The night before, Dea helped decorate the house after Lo went to bed and Huz baked the cake.


I LOVE decorating for my kid’s B-day parties!!! Dea’s is in July and it was always full of colorful flowers- purple fireweed, daisies, grasses- balloons and butterfly streamers… But not so much now that she’s older. It’s nice to have a little one again to decorate for.



Kids arrived at 4:00 and I’m not really sure what happened after that! With the first 2 kids came some serious rowdiness so we herded them outside to the play garden. At least the snow had melted enough around the swings and tree fort! From there it was off to make fairy bracelets and picture frames. Then our homemade pizza and cake.




Then prezzies. This picture is indicative of how that event went!:



Lo just started ripping through the gifts and I barely had time to slow her down, pick gifts up off the floor before they disapeared in tissue and wraping paper, read the cards take pictures, or suggest hugs and thank yous! I had to tell myself, she’s not being rude, she’s being a 4 year old! And she’s just the type of child who has to see everything first and will then go back and explore each thing.
The dollhouse was a hit despite the ill fitted front roof(we’ll fix that later) and Huz and I are quite proud of ourselves I must brag.


I’m diggin’ my scroll saw! Eventually the last kiddo left and I finally got to have my piece of pizza. Phew.



Got the Birthday Girl off to bed and the 3 of us watched-slept through, in my case-Beverly Hills Cop. Or maybe I passed out from the obnoxious 80s music.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like a crazy and wonderful day! :)

I love the blossoms in Dea's hair.

You're right....Lo isn't rude, she's just 4! The dollhouse is absolutely amazing. The 2 of you did a great job on it. She's gonna love that for years and years and years.

Take it easy today. You deserve it. ;)

julie said...

It looks like a wonderful time. The doll house that you and your husband made is amazing!

I am enjoying reading your blog.

Deb said...

I LOVE your Mommy day pictures!! You are amazing, and your girls are so beautiful!!!!!!! I have been checking in on ya a bit, I just need to call you! DEB

denise said...

What a great day - my 5 year old is a sensitive kid too, and gets overdone with too much stimulus. ALways have to find balance.

The faire looks awesome! And lots of people!

That dollhouse is beautiful. Absolutely wonderful! (that cake looks good too! ;))

RunninL8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.