June 10, 2008

FYI!!! Kids, don't try this at home!

Many moons ago when I taught preschool, one of our favorite snack time activities was Crazy Popping Corn. We would spread out a great big blanket on the floor, put a hot air pop corn popper in the middle and pop the kernels with the lid off! The kids would all sit in a circle catching the pop corn as it popped up into the air. They would shriek with delight waiting for one to pop their way or trying to catch them in their cupped hands or mouth!

So, wanting my own kids to experience this and feeling fed up with packaging and too much microwaving, I Craigslisted a hot air popcorn maker and got an almost new one for $12. I couldn’t wait to do the Crazy Popping Corn with the kids. We set out our blanket and Lo poured in the kernels. The kids sat in anticipation as they began to pop. The first few bursted out and and the kids gobbled them up. But then all of a sudden, extremely hot un-popped kernels shot out in every direction! Just as I was taking this picture, Dea burned her finger on one


and then another kernel shot out through the air and down into my tank top burning(2nd degree) my poor left bewby in 3 spots. Lo’s shouting with glee and I’m bent over shaking my tank top and yelling, “Get away from it! Get back! Pull the plug! Pull it!!!!”
So. Let’s all NEVER engage in this type of snack time frivolity again. You have been warned. It’s all fun and games until someone torches an eyeball…

16 comments:

denise said...

You made me laugh. Hope the burns heal quickly! ;)

dawn klinge said...

Ooh...that crazy popcorn! I hate getting burned.

RunninL8 said...

They turned into blisters! 'Tis a hard place to keep from being rubbed by clothing!

RunninL8 said...

Anyone have a recommendation as to what I should put on the blisters to heal and minimize scaring? I cooled them off with an ice pack(wrapped in clean towel of course)and placed a dry sterile pad over them after. But now what?

Anet said...

Oh no! sorry it didn't work out, it sounded like fun. I'll be sure not to try this one with my class. lol.....
I hope the burns heal quickly, the only thing I can think of is aloe or some burn ointment. Take care!

tiff said...

oh my goodness...i laughed, but then felt bad...your poor booby...we use bacitracin for burns..it works well...and good for blisters too.

i use to do this same activity when i taught kindergarten...but don't remember the flaming hot kernels being spewed everywhere...or do i...nah just kiddin'...now i will forever have this entry etched into my brain to not try in a classroom.

giggle:)

Anonymous said...

But it sounds like great fun, minus
the burns of course.
You know i have never had freshly
popped popcorn , well maybe
at a cinema but doubt that counts.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you got burned. Thanks for the laugh,though.

Tammy said...

I laughed and then felt bad. Then I laughed again. ;)

I'd try lots of lavender. Also, we have something called "Miracle Oil" that is sold in our local herbs store. Works wonders on burns. Any chance you might be able to find that where you are?

Janice {Run Far} said...

ROFL- that is hillarious

I found you from Tammy's blog.
I was thinking as first, wow that sounds like so much fun, but when you said your boob was burned, I changed my mind. ;)

Lisa Anne said...

This is so funny, it made me laugh out loud, my daughter had to come in the room to see what was happening. I am really sorry about your burns though. It does sound like a fun thing to do.

~Phaedra~ said...

Beautiful blog BTW, I love your *other* self too! There are few other worse places for burns, hope you heal quickly...Nothing to put on it, after the blisters use pure aloe from the plant...

Lisa Anne said...

Hi ya! I cam back again from Wool felt lady's blog and read your comment that your best friend lives in Binghamton, our farm is 20 minutes away. We sell our organic produce in Binghamton at Otsiningo Farmers' Market. Maybe we've met her before!
I have been enjoying your blog.

Kellan said...

That looks like crazy fun for the kids! I'm not sure I still have one of those poppers anymore - where is that thing?

I'm Kellan, btw - nice to meet you. See you soon.

woolladyfelter said...

Oh no! I was laughing then not and then again. Your poor booby. I have an aloe plant just for those weird silly occasions that I burn myself. You split open the thick leafs/stem and rub the liquid on the burn. It is best as soon as you burn yourself but it couldn't hurt to use it now. Its also really hard to kill those plants too - it never /rarely needs watering. Good luck.

RunninL8 said...

We totally murdered our aloe plant! It just was not a happy camper! We tried to drag out it's pitiful life-but it was just a pale frail mess!