June 17, 2008

MY LOVE LETTER TO SAFEWAY and Words/Photos:AESTIVAL and ORT


Dear Friends at Safeway Inc.,

I just wanted to take some time out of my day to send a letter of commendation to you and your masterful bakers for a truly amazing product! Let me tell you about our Father’s Day surprise…
On Sunday, my husband and I and our two daughters were in our garage gathering up camping equipment and making a list of food needed for our fishing trip next weekend. We were rummaging through boxes to find our gear when my oldest daughter pulled forth from the bowels of the garage a bag of Safeway Enriched Hot Dog Buns.
“Someone already bought the buns!” she stated.
“Did you buy those?” I asked my husband.
“I didn’t buy ‘em.” He replied
“We’ll, where did they come from?”
We stood, wondering. The silence was broken when my daughter exclaimed, “These are from last summer!!! I remember when we bought them!”
Dumbfounded, I grabbed the bag and pulled out a bun. What should have been rock hard, fuzzed with green and stinking was still soft and fresh!!! Those buns were as well preserved as Sophia Loren! You should have seen the amazement on everyone’s faces! To think! After one year of sitting at the bottom of a box in our damp garage, those buns were still moist and unsullied! My husband, a former baker and pastry chef, was humbled. His own artisan bread was hard and funky after only a couple days. One just has to wonder about what those magical and mysterious “other wholesome ingredients” must be…

What an unexpected discovery! One less thing to buy at the store, and now, dinner was decided! After cheering and high fives all around we had a big family hug and raced upstairs to find some hotdogs. The bakers you employ are to be praised. May they continue to work their magic in bakeries across America, and beyond! ! “Ingredients for life”, indeed!
Thank you, Safeway Bakers, for making our Father’s Day extra special.

Yours Truly,

Diedre Oppings


WORDS AND PHOTOS! For MONDAY:
Don't ask me where I pulled this out from, but: "esti"=latin-ish for "to be"?
Aestival- to be...something......I have no idea. That's all.
So, now, according to the Dictionary.com:
Aestival-adj. Of, relating to, or appearing in summer. Okaaaaaaaaaayyyy...

Swings, butterflys, bumblers and babies-even though we're still wearing fleece and waiting for the sun.







Solstice is this Saturday! This is what we were doing last year on the Solstice:


Cooling off, making flower wreaths and a SUN mobile from dried oranges.
Could there be any chance we'll see this kind of sun and warmth this weekend on our fishing trip?!?!? Hard to believe!

And WORDS AND PHOTOS for TODAY:
ORT. I have no idea what the this means. A round, one-eyed, growth found on one's arse? Off to the dictionary with me:

Ort- n. A small scrap or leaving of food after a meal is completed. Often used in the plural.
Interesting....

8 comments:

Anet said...

Love the moose!!!!
Looks like last year was a bit warmer for you, well you have a few more days before summer solstice. We are going the the annual Riverbank Pow Wow on the solstice. This year my husband is volunteering at the pow wow, so the kids and I will wander about ourselves. My husband knew what a ort was! He does a lot of crosswords, he's a geek.
And I must say that is one ADORABLE squirrel!:)

Sharon said...

That is one big baby! I LOVE your little swinging butterfly!!!!

tiff said...

oh good ol' rubber maid tubs...we have wonderful pictures of our boys' sharing a relaxing summer cool off in a tub...they also went as far as putting soap in the tubs and calling it a bath...hmmm...

love the moose...and your little one with the butterfly wings...

and your version of the words are cracking me up!

Tammy said...

Your writing style is so funny. I always leave with a smile on my face.

Love it, love it, love it. :)

And that orange mobile is so cool!

dawn klinge said...

What a sweet little butterfly! You've got so much amazing wildlife in Alaska...I've got to go there someday.

denise said...

Last year was super hot here too - and the last two days the boys have been wearing sweat shirts and long pants. We were on the deck a bit last night cuddled in blankets. Yet we went swimming on Saturday during the 4 hours of heat before the front moved in! Interesting year.

Hope you have some warmer weather...and sweet/cute photos!

Lizz said...

I love the dollhouse table and the crafts from last year!!

Gypsy said...

What beautiful photos - I love the little dolls at their table. Could you be more Waldorfy????