September 25, 2008

FOOD! GLORIOUS FOOD! meme

I friggin' love food, from Cap'n Crunch to caviar so I couldn't help but indulge my senses with this MEME I found at We Welcome You to Munchkin Land.

The Omnivore’s Hundred

Below is a list of 100 things that every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life(NOT!!!). The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. I kid. Don’t worry if you don’t recognize everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.

I've tried 63 out of the 100. If it goes against my ethics or I get vomity just reading the word, I'm not eatin' it.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea

3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht –“It’s so nice on a hot summer day!”, Mom would say. Ew. I only liked the pink color of it when you swirled the sour cream around.
10. Baba ghanoush –MA, my BFF introdced me to it. Also, one of my dog’s nick-names. I don’t know why.
11. Calamari –always rubbery..but why do I always try one?!?!?
12. Pho – Pronounced “Fuh”- LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!
Especially the take out at Pho-King and Pho-Q.



13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi – cumin, ick.
15. Hot dog from a street cart-NYC’s finest!
16. Epoisses –I’ve tried SO MANY cheeses. Not sure on this one.
17. Black truffle –in a sauce. One might mistake them for chocolate truffles.
That would be bad.


18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes-BLUEBERRY wine by BARRY. One of the bottles blew up in the basement.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie grasuuuugh-GAG-bluh-GAG-urp-burp-Gag-retch-you-know-the-rest…
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche –Si! In high school Spanish class
28. Oysters –with Stoli and caviar…yum me

Once, at Humpy’s, I ate one that was still moving. It’s fun to gross out Ma! and Dea!


29. Baklava- Ma! introduced me.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas-good for snackin.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl -yaaaaawn
33. Salted lassi - I’ve had lassi, but not salted. Anyone ever have a Bhang lassi?!?!? Me neither.
34. Sauerkraut- I.Hate.It
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O- Oh, I’m sure, at SOME point that night on my 28th B-Day.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail – Not into bones and meat Jello!
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects



43. Phaal – But I do like a HOT challenge!
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more –Huz is a single malt scotch coniseur/collector. I have wee sips. Band-aids…burnt electrical wire…echk.
46. Fugu –NOT into a DEATH challenge.
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut-We OD’ed on them on night in Florida.
50. Sea urchin - NO! Beautiful flowing flower of the sea…
51. Prickly pear- ouch. In Montana



52. Umeboshi –with my wasabi peas
53. Abalone
54. Paneer-yummy! Theres a place in town that serves food of the Himalayas..need to go there!
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal-enjoyed TOO many of those in my early 20’s.
56. Spaetzle –At Nature Lady’s house
57. Dirty gin martini –at that trendy place in Missoula.
58. Beer above 8% ABV- We brew our own! Huz has won many awards and I’ve won one, too! For my cardamom brew, The Om!
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads - YIKES! I almost answered yes! See 67.
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst – I don’t know. I MAY have had this at Nature Lady’s house!
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs – Oh, HELL no. SCOOT would break up with me !!!!!!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake- Hello! I’m in love with a former pastry chef/baker!!!


68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe – Isn’t it illegal?
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill – Oh, now COME ON…..Something would have to of gone terribly wrong in my life...
76. Baijiu - Had a lil taste when using it to make liquors. Hic.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie –see 55.
78. Snail –Yee,haw! ‘Scargots-N-beer!
79. Lapsang souchong - Wasn’t he the guy who shepherded Sir Edmund Hillary up Everest?
80. Bellini - And he was a guy who owned a “jewelry shop” in Madison, CT.
81. Tom yum - I don’t know that guy…
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky - These guys really have some funky snacks.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers – Just lovely on a salad of gourmet greens… I nibble on the Nasturtiums we grow in the summer.
89. Horse- ...HELL-to-the-NO.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - Regrettably
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa – sounds intriguing!
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano- Mi Casa in Cabo San Lucas…the bomb. ~sigh~


96. Bagel and lox – Best from the 2nd Ave. Deli-NYC. Once, Huz’s former boss shipped them up to the bakery for some catering gig. I was in heaven.
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee-Maybe? I tried SO MANY coffees at Butterfly Herbs in Missoula, MT.
100. Snake- Why bother when there’s chicken?


Why aren’t Rocky Mountain Oysters on this list?!?!? Ate one in Montana!

11 comments:

denise said...

I did this too - just haven't posted mine yet. Fun.

Absinthe can be made legally nowadays. ;)

dawn klinge said...

You are adventurous! I'm curious because I've seen this meme several times now and black pudding is almost always crossed out...I've got to Google that and find out what it is. ;)

Loring Wirbel said...

Black pudding should be part of a nutritious Scottish breakfast of deep-fried Twinkies, greasy eggs, several pints of ale, and chain-smoked cigarettes. Can't go to Scotland without black pudding and haggis.

Loring Wirbel said...

I didn't get nearly as creative in pics or responses as you, but I got 86 of 100!

http://iconocurmudgeonclast.blogspot.com/2008/09/supposedly-fun-thing-to-eat-id-never.html

Sharon said...

Okay, I'm going to have to skip this one. I went through the list and I've only ever tried 10 things on it! :)

Anonymous said...

Meat jello--you crack me up!

I'll try anything (probably) once, but sea urchin will never again cross my lips. Tasted like phlegm scraped up off the side of a fishtank.

I'm coming to your house for some snails, umeboshi, and cardamom beer :-)

Naturelady said...

Great list!

We'll have to add Lapsang souchong to your list next time you're over -- it's a very smoky black tea, not bad with a little honey.

But what exactly IS black pudding?
In Germany they make a sort of sausage and also pudding-like substance from blood. Is that it?

When Wolfman saw this list, with all the beautiful photos of FOOD, he moaned something like "can't wait to eat real food again!"

Tammy said...

23 for me. There's some pretty nasty stuff on that list.

Rocky Mountain Oysters.....I can't believe you ate one! (gag) lol

Loring Wirbel said...

Naturelady, it's a sausage made with blood as the primary ingredient (also called blood sausage). When it's spicy-style, it's not that different from chorizo, but it looks eeewwwwww when on a plate with sliced tomatoes and very greasy eggs, the way Scots eat them every morning.

denise said...

See, everyone else does this 100 list and gets nice normal replies. I get 11 emails about foie gras and even a post about it. Sigh. Can't win! ;)

Loring Wirbel said...

Thanks for making that comment about foie gras on Denise's blog. I mean, how can a person blame someone for having something on the list they personally disagree with? I certainly didn't hate Andy in the UK for listing horse meat. I equate people who chide you for making accurate representations of your own history with those who mistake a TV star for the role they play on a soap opera. Ridiculous.