September 1, 2008

INTERMISSION

I'm going to take a brief leave from reality and all things serious and slip into a superficiality coma. Onward to a tour-de-force of desire. And then I will refrain from such pathetic superficial coveting in the future. I'm really not a person who wants, wants, wants-I hate such an external mindset.

Trips back east-NYC especially-with it's BOMBARDMENT of advertising, brings out the more superficial foo-foo side of me. TV(which we don't watch in Alaska), the fashion magazines strewn about my mom's house, that eastern pressure to dress up, billboards...I don't like that I kinda like it when my cosmo persona rears it's covetous head. Because it is SO not based in reality!!!! 'Tis only temporary, though. Once back home I'm naturally released from the gluttonous clutches of the east coast-back to what's real and truly important.

I'm usually an easy to please sorta gal. When back in the real world, I'm not into the whole trendy fashion thing. But I do love a few unique and versatile pieces in my wardrobe, sort of symbolic of who I am. I'm either buying practical at REI, investing in the rare piece of couture (lol) at Nordstroms, or ordering online organic and handmade from some kynd hippy mama. When walking around NYC...all those lovely textures, colors....admiring the cultural emphasis or the earthy rawness(Free People is one such line. Spendy but groovy), I see and I shamefully want. But I know if I HAD...it would mostly just sit in my closet. No matter if it's a shear flowy top as warm as a Kleenex in the winter time! Gotta HAVE that! Yuk! I banish you demon!

I rarely buy clothes. But when I do I tend to go high end for the quality and durability . In the past most of it is simply not practical for my lifestyle. I have to come to the realization that in the real world, MY real world, when at home I DON'T put on or remain in those spendy jeans or that cute Jacquard Tunic . I strip and hop into the sweats, a tee, and a "snuggly" (fleece). Well, last year I decided if I'm going to frump out at home, I'm doing it in style. No more fancy clothes living neglected in my closet. I have 2 pairs of Juicy couture velour pants and a groovy pair of Da-Nang yoga pants. And they will last me for the next 5 years. I'm all set. Some soft one-of-kind tee-shirts with screen prints on them. One is an old Hasselblad camera, one is a buddha, and I still heart my "I love The Chugach" tee. I think I look pretty unfrump for a chick in "Dormwear". I'm waxing Nick Nolte that way, but can still go out and not look like I'm in my jammies

There ARE some "necessities" I'd love to have this fall, and after our NYC excursion I've complied this little montage of wants. A new pair of non-low-friggin-rise jeans- only if they are so soft and comfy that I don't feel the need to rip them off when I get home, a good transition coat-can't very well go out on a date with my hunny in my ski coat, a messenger bag type purse for all my junk, decent shades, a good looking pair of snow boots, and because we keep our house on the cool side, some sort of cozy thing- a nice sweater or pashmina to wrap up in and dress up the basics when needed-and I must say I just like the idea of having one as an excuse to be engulfed in a blankie all day.


While in New Jersey, I did score 3 Coach and 1 Kate Spade bags at a tiny little place called "my mom's closet". Uh....What to do with them?

On to make-up.

I HATE make-up. If stranded on a desert island my 3 make-up items of choice? Moisturizer with SPF, lip balm, and tweezers. I thank the universe that I don't need make-up and therefore beholden and committed to it. I just wear the above and occasionally a little blush, mascara and tinted gloss if I haven't slept well or when we go out fancy-like.

Dea had decided she was ready to try make-up. We had been telling her that when she went into middle school she could give it a go as long as it was tasteful and appropriate. She felt like going into 8th grade with a little flare. The artist in me (and former teen) thought it would be fun to do a mother/daughter make-over trip to Sephora in NJ so she could learn how to apply make-up correctly.

The woman who helped us found a nice i.d.BareMinerals blush for her. It gave her a nice healthy cheek color. She also got a cute i.d. lip gloss and mascara. All of it was very subtle and natural looking and I was relived that Dea was quite happy with it all! I was dreading that she might want to go heavier. I had told the esthetician NO foundation, primer, eyeshadow, or any of that crap!


I was next. What fun. The esti brought out a bunch of powders from the i.d. line (all the RAGE, you know)because I had requested a natural but healthy look as I rarely wear make-up. She assured me this stuff was, "as light as air! You don't even know you have it on!"(apply NJ accent when reading her lines)

"Hmmmm..." I said.

"Well, look! It's what I've got on today!", says the heavily make-up laden esti.

"Oh!" I say politely.

Through the side of her mouth she says,"You probably have such great skin cuz you don't wear foundation and make-up!"

ding, ding, ding!!

When all is said and done, I look like Joan Collins. Joan Collins today.

"Ew. Your skin is all way too perfect. You can't see your beauty marks and that's weird. Yeah. Take it off.", says that sweet kid of mine.

I did end up getting the same blush as Dea. After all these years of searching for a "NATURAL/HEALTHY" color, I'd found it via my teen. Yay! And a nice lip gloss. AND my beloved and glorious Smith's Rosebud Salve which I can't find here in AK. After years of wearing Philosophy's Grace and then a few years wearing no scent, At L'occitaine I found a new one with blood orange-woodsy and earthy notes that intertwine and constantly but subtly change as the day goes on. Take a whiff!!

OK!!!Fashion and make-up foo foo over and done. With the aid of this blog I have excised the foo foos. Shant speak of them again.

13 comments:

Anet said...

I turn into a huge frump during the summer, no make-up, comfy clothes. Then it's back to work and I try a little harder to look presentable. I hate shopping!
I wear Philosophy's Amazing Grace. My mom gets me the whole kit of it for Christmas. Autumn has Falling in Love...from them. I'm not a big fan of that one. It's suppose to make you irresistible to men. Ha!!!
The new scent you got sounds wonderful!

dawn klinge said...

I like to indulge in the froo froo side of myself on rare occasions as well. But most days...its yoga clothes and no make-up for me. I did start wearing perfume again after winning a bottle of Obsession from a blog giveaway. My husband loves it- as did the mosquitoes this weekend. ;p I think you have incredible taste...I would love to go shopping with you.

denise said...

I.Hate.Shopping. Being six feet tall and with bad allergies (I cannot try on clothing or touch stuff much in racks at stores because I get hives...can only try stuff on/touch it AFTER washing it--what fun). Make up is the same. Hives unless it is specific organic/frag free/sensitive stuff. Blech! I'm NO fun to shop with.

But I love the good quality, organic, fair trade, comfy, soft, stylish goodies that I can find online (but NEVER EVER look the same on me once the package arrives!). ;P I always feel that I am wasting money if I buy clothing for me though - when I could instead buy more canvases, new acrylics, music...

What a fun trip for a makeover/make up app though. I always find places like that fascinating for people watching...

Tammy said...

What a fun post to read! :) I don't do the make up thing, either. I do like lipstick or lip gloss and moisturizer. That's about it. My girls do eyeshadow (tastefully) and lipstick or lipgloss. My oldest also wears a clear mascara occasionally. That's about it.

My downfall is nail polish. 37 bottles at the present moment. lol!

Sharon said...

I'm with Denise....I couldn't hate shopping more. Not because I don't like to embrace the foo foo, it's just always so frustrating. And what is up with the low rise craze??? I so hope that is on it's way out because I am getting really tired of wearing men's jeans. :) I do love that bag. Thank god I live in the woods where lounge pants and snuggly sweaters are the norm!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Tweezers? I get seriously twitchy without tweezers. I haven't worn makeup in forever, though I did consider some organic hippy lip gloss the other day :-)

It's OK to get frou-frou once in a while. Kind of like how we watch all kinds of horrible TV when we go to my mom's house. Gets it out of your system.

PS: Dea is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

that was really nice. it's fun to indulge and be girly every now and then. although i'm not a girly girl, i don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to pamper oneself and to look good. it's something i never do. i wish i oculd. perhaps after we leave japan and doing that sort of thing doesn't cost an arm, a leg and another leg, i'll be able to splurge.
i really enjoyed living vicariously through yours though.
you should do it again soon:)

RunninL8 said...

ANET-I used to have the whole kit, too! Sadly, after awhile I think my nose just overdosed on it or something! Either that, or my pregnancy had something to do with it... BUmmer because I was so blown away the first time i smelled that scent! I've never been so "attracted" to a scent before.

DAWN-Thanks! It would be fun to have a shopping spree with some "girls"!

DENISE- Wow! Such allergies! That must be so difficult! I think one of the reasons I so rarely buy clothes is that there ARE so many other things to buy! I have a pile of canvases myself!

TAMMY- That's so funny! I didn't think to mention nail polish! I do have a ton of THAT! I love O.P.I-such funky colors! As a massage therapist, I can't wear polish on my nails(unsanitary) so I go all out on my toes!! It gives a client something interesting to look at when they are face down on the table! The blue that I'm wearing in the NYC "blisters" photo is the same that I wore at my wedding!

SHARRON-hate, hate, hate low rise. Lo's always like "mama. i see your panties" or " There's the crack in your butt, mama!" They never fit right-they hang off my ass like a gangsta. I find myself pulling out the old pair of jeans from 1999, then considered "low rise". NOT! Those are perfect. i feel like an old lady when i go into a store and i'm like,"I need new jeans. Can you point me to something that's not SO LOW RISE". If they tell me to go and get a pair of Lee's, I choke them.

ANTHRO- My face is a whole different place when the brows are tweezed!!! Actually, now i get them waxed. Fast, easy, and they make them look perfect.
And we watched a ton of TV-the first night Dea and I were up to like 2 am watching 'What not to wear"! But the kids looked so WEIRD staring blankly and slack jawed at the tube. I think after a few days we were all so SICK of the commercials we just lost interest.

L-ZEN- pampering... I would love to go to one of those "spa days" and get the whole package-facial, massage, mani/pedi and all! Massage is top on my list, though! As an LMT, I'm terrible about self care!

healingmagichands said...

No one NEEDS makeup. sorry. That "Need" has been created for us by the cosmetics industry.

RunninL8 said...

AGREED! I wrestle still with the social expectation that to look "put together" or professional or dressed up, I "have" to wear make-up. I think I look great-but do others think I'm a "mess"?
Should i care?!?!
Damn that little beat up part of me that says,"yes".

thegoodwitch said...

Aaah, our alter egos -- so much fun to induldge from time to time. I can't stand shopping in NZ, but when I come home, the stores better watch out (actually, I just buy a ton of kids' clothes because they're so much cheaper in the US). My big luxury, however, is nice(read: disgustingly overpriced) jeans, purchased by my generous mom. And I wouldn't turn down her Coach gimmes either!

Lisa Anne said...

I can count on one hand how many times I wore make-up. But my indulgence is Dr. Haushka's products; after a busy morning of cleaning up cow and horse sh*t, walking in the chicken coop and scrubbing their poop of their waterers, I like to come in the house and wash my face with the cleanser and a little spritz of the toner, followed up with Weleda lip balm (if I am feeling alittle wild I put on Burt's Bees tinted lip balm). The other way I feel like a woman is every time I come into the house I pull off my dirty Carhart overalls and put on a skirt. It is a necessity to find these little things to reconnect our feminine side. I have a bit of a complex about my femininity lately; for my birthday I got my self into some clean clothes and was looking pretty good (I must say) and Jerome did not say anything. Then one day last week I had my big frumpy hat on and my carhart overalls and Jerome was all over me telling me how cute I was!!??

RunninL8 said...

Goodwitch- Yeah, it's bad, but I LOVE those spendy jeans, too! 7 for All Mankind, True Religion, Paper Denim and Whatever.....Bad, but they last FOREVER!

LisaAnne- I LOVE gittin dirty!!! Whether it's out in the garden, doing yard work, mountain biking in the mud(Dea and I relish that!), backpacking... and then coming home and totally scrubbing clean. I love the transformation from being totally grounded in the physical, communing with the earth, to "lightening up" both physically and energetically. Yeah, Huz always says I clean up real nice, but I know he just loves the Down to Earth side even more. Taking the physical out of it so to speak, it's who I truly am.